Blog post 8

I searched online for some films that included some examples of jump cuts, unsurprisingly, I found numerous links to the movie ā€œBreathless,ā€ and some I’ve never heard of. However I found a link to a scene in the movie of ā€œThe Royal Tenenbaumsā€ which I really liked for the reason being it didn’t contain dialogue, but you could merely appreciate the physical aspect of it. (I didn’t notice that another student posted the same movie until I was done with my post.) Being that I hadnā€™t watched it before, I initially thought that this scene was merely depicting someone giving himself a makeover, albeit it truly depicts not only a physical transformation, but a mental transformation. The use of the jump cut in this scene firstly allows the viewer to focus on the time aspect of the scene, the scene is not supposed to be five minutes, but it gives the viewer an impression that the scene lasts for longer than is showed. Secondly, by giving you shots of the film back to back, you can see that Richie Tenenbaum goes through multiple different looks and attitudes before he finally decides to commit suicide. When he does slit his wrists, and one of the kids discover him lying on the floor, there is another jump cut to him on a bed with nurses rushing him down a hall, building. This last cut builds suspense for the the next scene.

2 thoughts on “Blog post 8”

1. Great example. I like this clip a lot because of how it uses the jump cuts. The cuts are used like a timelapse, and a flashback, and then to show the other sides to the story of them coming to find him in the hospital. I have never seen this movie, but now I would like to

2. This is a very good example of the jump cut. The point of the jump cut is have this jumping forward effect in time. This scene in the Royal Tenenbaums tries to imply that Richie is shaving off his old self. Right after he finds out Margot’s affairs and problems he decides to kill himself. This shaving and cutting scene shows different levels of him taking off his old self. It doesn’t show him shaving everything off completely in one take, but it shows different segments of the grooming through jump cuts. The passing of time is very seamless.