SITE ZONING STUDY
For Assignment 4 you will research the zoning of our site, and create a simple massing showing how you propose to use the site.
Your board should include the following:
- Text and diagrams illustrating the zoning rules for the site based on your zoning research
- Diagrams and/or massing of your proposed use for the site
- Our site is an empty lot at the corner of Lafayette Avenue and St. Felix St. in Fort Greene. The address is 37 Lafayette, Block 2108, Lot 17. Here is the location of the site from the NYC tax map: Tax Map. If you would like to access this map for yourself, here is the link: http://gis.nyc.gov/taxmap/map.
- The zoning is C6-1, as you can find on zoning map 16c: Zoning Map.
- With the above information, you will be able to find all of the information you need on the NYC city planning website, www.nyc.gov/zoning. Click on “Zoning Districts,” and read that page, then click on “Commercial Districts,” read that page, then click on “C6,” for info specific to our zoning. You will likely need to read parts of the “Glossary” page, and you can also read the full Zoning Resolution, which you can link to from the site (you will want to read Article III).
- Make sure to explain the FAR, the uses permitted, any envelope and height restrictions, any bonuses, etc.
- After your research is complete, show us how you propose to utilize the site with a massing diagram and other diagrams as needed:
- Show what part of the site the building would cover, and if there is any open area;
- Show the # of stories and what use each story has (for example commercial or residential), any setbacks, and overall building height;
- Show in what part of this massing you propose your commercial store to be located.
- It will be helpful for you to show this massing in context, so also show the immediate surroundings (buildings and streets).
Before Monday’s class, post your board to the blog. It should be 11×17 format, and JPEG file type. Keep the file size under 2mb. Categorize your post under your name and under “Post 4_Site Zoning Study.”
Be ready to share your work with the class on Monday.
(FYI, the assignment following this will be to visit and document the site. If you will not have time to do so next week, I recommend doing so this weekend.)