36 Hours in Ko Samui, Thailand

Fathima Muzammil

Professor J. Akana

HMGT 1101

16 December 2016

36 Hours in Ko Samui, Thailand

Ko Samui is located in the Gulf of Thailand and is known for its beaches, rainforest’s,

resorts, spas and much more. Ko Samui is Thailand’s second largest island.

screen-shot-2016-12-13-at-1-00-03-pm

• 10:00 A.M.

Manathai Koh Samui is located on Lamai Beach. Through Expedia, I paid $70 per night. It

contains 148 rooms, boundless gardens, five restaurants, bars and two swimming pools.

Services offered by the hotel are Wifi / Internet Access, parking, babysitting on request,

fitness centre and dry cleaning / ironing.

screen-shot-2016-12-13-at-1-10-28-pm

• 12:00 P.M.

For lunch, I took advantage of one of the restaurants offered by the hotel called Waterline.

Waterline has an oceanside view and offers exquisite dishes of a variety of cuisine’s such as

Mediterranean, European, Italian, Asian and much more. Waterline offers guests free Wifi

and serves alcohol. The prices were reasonable and ranged from $7 – $24.

screen-shot-2016-12-13-at-1-42-36-pm

• 2:00 P.M. 

While exploring the Island, I decided to kayak at Ang Thong Marine National Park in the

Gulf of Thailand. I paid 2,423 THB (Thai baht) which is about $68. It is known as one of

the world’s most stunning sea kayaking locations as tourists kayak through caves and

around Phi Phi Island. It was a magical experience as I relaxed and enjoyed the breath

taking view of Thailand.

screen-shot-2016-12-13-at-2-25-59-pm

• 4:00 P.M. 

Before heading back to the hotel, I decided to go snorkelling in Ko Tao. Guests can hop

from one bay to another in Ko Tao and explore each island. I paid 2,530 THB (Thai baht)

which is about $71. The water was crystal clear, shallow and calm which made it suitable

for both adults and children. I was able to see a variety of colorful sea creatures and corals

as I enjoyed the warm weather.

screen-shot-2016-12-13-at-3-00-59-pm

• 7:00 P.M.

After a long fun filled day, I decided to head back to the hotel and take advantage of one of

the restaurants in Manathai Koh Samui. For dinner, I went ahead and tried the famous

fried noodles offered at Pad Thai. Pad Thai is a traditional restaurant with recipes handed

down for generations and pairs Thai techniques with western flavors which takes the dish

to new heights. The prices were reasonable and ranged between $9 – $30.

screen-shot-2016-12-13-at-3-18-34-pm

• 9:00 P.M. 

After having dinner, I decided to relax by one of the pools at Manathai Koh Samui.

Fortunately, it wasn’t as crowded as I expected. I was able to swim all night and enjoy the

calm summer breeze. It was a beautiful and quiet moment I treated myself to, as I

reminisced over the perfect day I had as my day came to an end.

screen-shot-2016-12-13-at-3-50-10-pm

• 9:00 A.M.

For breakfast, I decided to take a stroll around the island and found a restaurant called

New Hut Cafe. New Hut Cafe serves both Thai food and western food. I opted for a light

breakfast and had some toast and scrambled eggs with a side of vegetables, a mixture of

fruits and orange juice. The restaurant had a beautiful view of the beach and the prices

were reasonable as it ranged below $25.

screen-shot-2016-12-13-at-3-57-18-pm

• 11:00 A.M.

After having breakfast, I decided to explore the island and have an adventure. I chose to fly

over Samui’s tropical rainforest on zip lines at Koh Samui Canopy Adventures. I paid

1,200 THB (Thai baht) which is about $35 for a ride. Riders were given a 20 minute

practice session beforehand by professionals. Afterwards, I zip lined at a speed nearing 80

kmph as I enjoyed the breathtaking waterfall views.

screen-shot-2016-12-13-at-4-33-19-pm

• 1:00 P.M.

For lunch, I went to Spices Cafe near Samui Canopy Adventures. It was a lovely little

restaurant that served authentic Thai food. It was a family owned restaurant and the chef

served the guests a variety of fresh thai cuisine using bold flavors. I ordered prawn with

panang curry, deep fried sea bass, soft shell crab salad, etc. The prices were reasonable as

it ranged below $20. Overall, it was a great atmosphere as I enjoyed the hospitality Spices

Cafe had to offer.

screen-shot-2016-12-13-at-4-50-00-pm

• 2:00 P.M.

After I had lunch, I wanted to do something sporty and fun. I decided to ride a powerful 4

wheel ATV bike along the dirt tracks of Ko Samui. It was a unforgettable experience as I

enjoyed the countryside of Thailand. As I passed by the rainforest I was able to witness the

diverse wildlife in Ko Samui. I rode on hills, sands and river fronts as I made my way to a

waterfall named Maenam Soi 5. I paid $85 dollars to ride an ATV bike and now I can check

that off my bucket list.

screen-shot-2016-12-14-at-5-39-52-pm

• 4:00 P.M.

Before heading back to the hotel, I still had a few hours left to spare. After riding on a

powerful 4 wheel ATV bike, I was all drained out of energy. I wanted to end my day with

an activity I can sit back and relax, so I decided to hop on a Safari Tour by a

4WD Jeep. Through this tour, I was able to see a few religious sites, waterfalls, gardens

and mountains overlooking the Gulf of Thailand. I paid $53 dollars for this wonderful

experience I got to share with my best friend.

screen-shot-2016-12-14-at-5-48-09-pm

• 8:00 P.M. 

After a long day filled with fun and sporty activities, I wanted to head back to hotel and

have a quiet and peaceful dinner at one of the restaurants in Manathai Koh Samui called

Colours. It was the perfect way to end my day as I was able to enjoy the warm hospitality of

a home cooked meal. The prices were reasonable and ranged below $35. I had a pleasant

trip to Ko Samui, Thailand and I would highly recommend people to visit and create

memories they’ll never forget.

screen-shot-2016-12-14-at-5-59-06-pm

T H A N K    Y O U !