Richard Foster

Richard Foster’s photographs are all very interesting. From the crisp and clear detail to the aesthetically pleasing shadows that are created in most of his pieces. Even though, I enjoy all of his photographs, the ones that caught my attention the most were Audemar Piguet. One of the reasons is because I, myself, work with jewelry and watches. Automatic ones, usually referred to as “open heart” have always been one of my favorite ones because of how much detail, one can see, was put into the creation of them. Foster did a precise job using a black/dark background for these shots. The watches stand out due to all the light that is hitting them from the front. Main lights and a diffused light with a softbox were most likely used so that there wouldn’t be a hard light hitting them, instead there would be an even amount of light hitting the watch from all angles. The photos are so crisp that one could imagine a longer macro lens, probably a 100/105mm was used so that there could be a greater focus so that the subject could appear larger. The composition of them is very well done because they are all put straight in the center, except the first one. The way the watch is positioned, even though a part of the right side is missing, is well captured because the viewer knows what the subject is. The detail in the mechanics make up for the missing space.

One thought on “Richard Foster

1. rmichals

Watches are hard to photograph because they have both metal and glass. Often this is done with a composite where the watch is photographed once with the lighting to get the best result for the metal and once for the glass face of the watch and then the two shots are put together. I am not sure specifically about Richard Foster’s approach.