Typographic Design

Spring 2023

Prof: Lynn Cole Walker

Creative Process

In this project, I was tasked to develop a humanitarian booklet about heroes; a look at people, organizations, and ideas for social change. The main objectives of this project were to develop layout design and typographic skills. I first started by curating a style guide with appropriate typefaces, colors, point size, and leading. This was put into a single document to reference throughout the design process. Test copy was compiled to scan for legibility and readability, ultimately deciding on 9/11′. Spread mockups were created to play around with layout variation including side bars and images. The goal was to be able to create a harmonious but still visually interesting spread. Various iterations of the spread were done with real copy and photos whilst I was developing the cover page. The cover page is a graphic and visual interpretation of climbing the mountain and overcoming challenges which related to the inside copy. The complementary color palette is eye catching along with the typefaces. Overall, I further developed my typographic eye through trial and error and ended with a beautiful print product.

Style Guide

Test Copy

Spread Mockups

Spread Variations

Cover Variations

Final Booklet