I Belong to a conservative family. I have a huge family and everyone obeys my dad a lot. To him, education is important. “Your dad struggled a lot to complete his education,” said mom. I have grown up seeing Dad telling my cousins to study hard and become an independent person. I have seen him struggled for family and us. He has always been my role model. I never cared much about education before because I assumed it was pointless if we can’t remember anything while growing up. I also thought education doesn’t teach us anything which we can apply in real life. However, since education is important to dad, I only considered it for him.

The education system in Bangladesh is very despicable. In spite of that 11 years of educational life in Bangladesh where the students are expected to memorize the textbook and copyright the exact thing on the exam and if not done properly face punishment, and this minimizes the growth of the students’ own knowledge and ideas. With, this strict education system in Bangladesh where I did not have the freedom to express my ideas on the subjects. The word “fun” never existed in the Bangladesh education system.

After the short summer break we returned to school, I forgot to complete my Social Study homework. The following day the teacher called me to show my homework I stood up from the chair my eyes were on the floor, as she got up pushing the chair behind, my heart was pounding as if I am running a marathon, she walked to my table “You know the punishment come’ on show me your hand”. I hid my hand on the back but she refuses to see the fear in my eyes instead she pulled my hand aggressively and hit me with a steel ruler which left an unforgettable mark on my hand.

Immediately, Mom & Dad appointed a tutor to come after school to supervise me with the school work. Soon after I was going to take the final exam for 5th-grade, the tutor stayed for extra hours making sure I understand the materials, and if not she would also punish me. The next day, dad cut off the Tv line and restricted me to not to attend any family gathering or weddings. On the result day, dad rushed to my room “You have passed with an A+”. “Yayyyyy that’s good news,” I said. The sparkle in his eyes was satisfying to see but as soon as he left the room I felt devastated. In between the time of studying in Bangladesh has pushed me toward hating education more and more. I lost the interest in leaning anything or focusing though, I had no option but to continue to tolerate the torture until dad decided to move to the USA.

At the age of 14, I move to the USA. In the meantime, at the Airport while I closed my eyes I overheard dad say, “I am taking them to the USA for their better education and future, I hope my decision proves to be right”. The words from him planted new hopes in me but, the only thought was bothering me was “will my preference for education change?”. Soon after I was enrolled in school, on my first day, my hands were shaking as I was walking into the school. Although I was nervous, I was optimistic that something better waiting for me. I knew it would be difficult for me to adapt to the new environment.
“Hey, what’s your name?” a girl asked. I told her and she asked me a few more questions; however, I couldn’t answer her questions since I didn’t speak English. On the first day, I was admitted to ESL class, little by little the teachers would help me learn English and better me if I would make a mistake. The gesture I was receiving from them motivated me. Suddenly, every day I would wake up early in the morning and then walk to school with Kelly. She was the only one who was helping me adapt to the environment. The freedom of expressing my thoughts and ideas in writings and other materials was very nice, but the challenges were yet to come. Each time I was told to write something in my word I would take out a pencil to write the but the only two words were on the paper was my name. Many years of studying in Bangladesh left dust to set on my mind, I was confused about where to begin or end. For being a new student in the country, I didn’t have to take the state tests.

In 2016 I started High School yet, I was very uncertain of the new turns that were ahead of me. Somewhat I was being able to move forward until I was cast down with the exam called the SAT, I did not hear of this test till the sophomore year of high school where I got to know that without this exam I won’t be able to attend good colleges and instantly I felt more stressed than before. Several questions were roaming in my head, “What if I do not get a good score? How will others and my family view me if I don’t do good on this exam?” Then the wave of receiving the extra time privilege strikes me. The following day I ran to the Assistant Principle office “Mr. since I receive extra time in regents, I may get extra time in the SAT as well”.
“I am sorry Ramisa, but the college board isn’t allowing you to have extra time,” he said.
On the exam, I sat with anxiety and a shaky hand of not completing the exam on time. Due to the limited time I was impelled to leave over 25 questions on each section of the SAT randomly answered. The old memory of studying in Bangladesh rushed back in me with tears rolling down through my cheek, then I hear a voice “It is just a test it doesn’t measure your intelligence nor as a person” it was then I got the strength to push forward. Despite all the challenges, I graduated from high school. Presently the college is a new journey, there is much more to come within.

Ultimately, education is supposed to be fun and not forced upon anyone. Education is for oneself not for others, throughout this journey I acquired to like education, beyond how it was presented by the system, it has so much to offer and provide opportunities. My educational adversity grew me into a different person, which boosted my confidence and willpower. I didn’t let my experiences hold me back from improving myself. I proved myself to be a strong person who can develop herself despite the obstacles I faced in the past. For me, education isn’t only for my dad but to walk on that path to become an independent woman and successful. Being aware of the value of education is the only ladder to reach my dreams.