Weekly Journal #9

Week 9 was amazing! Working was quite rewarding this week. I had some pretty great guests, I can’t really complain.

One guest in particular stood out to me though. She was an older woman in her 60’s who was traveling with her husband, and their grandson. She looked like she was having trouble walking/standing on line so I took her aside and I checked her on an iPad so she can sit on the couch. Once sitting she somewhat broke down. I felt horrible and tried consoling her to see what the problem was. She then proceeded to tell me that her daughter recently passed from a drug overdose, so they decided to take their grandson on vacation to keep his mind off of things. She also told me that the father was never in his life, so they assumed they would be taking full custody of the little boy. They are from Canada, but the father is from America. When crossing the border into America, border control took all of their grandson’s papers and passport. Apparently his father requested custody and until it is all figured out, their grandson is now not allowed to go back to Canada with them after this trip. I felt SO BAD.

Disneyworld is a place to escape your troubles, not to add anymore. The woman was just so afraid what was going to happen after their vacation. Although there was nothing I can do about their situation, I could however ensure that they have an amazing start to their vacation. I surprised her with a specialized “Cars” magicband for the grandson, gave them fastpasses for the following day, and sent a big mickey plush to their room as a surprise later on in the day. I did not see the guest after that interaction, but I hope those extra little perks really helped jump-start their Disney vacation!

Besides working, I also had a great time in the parks this week!  Some friend from my last College Program came to visit, so we went to Epcot’s “Food and Wine Festival” so catch up! It was so nice seeing them!  I think they are planning to come visit again soon, so I’m going to try to give them my discount next time on their Disney resort.

Epcot Food & Wine Festival

Epcot Food & Wine Festival

This entry was posted in Reflective Photo Journals. Bookmark the permalink.