Read and React 3

Ever since I stepped into the the Disney College Program, I started networking. Basically, if there are more than one CPs or ICPs in one area, they are bound to spark a conversation. It can be about the most insignificant thing, such as the weather or the time the bus is coming; sooner or later however, they start talking about where they come from and what they want to do with their lives. Traditions was one of those areas where CP’s are most likely to learn about each other through group work and interactive activities. In traditions, we always began by introducing ourselves, where we came from and what were our roles in the company. Through theses interactions, cast members are able to have conversations on a more personal level. Personally, I’ve had the most successful networking opportunities through my college classes, specifically the Organizational Leadership course. In this class, we are constantly challenged with group activities that break barriers creating lasting connections with other people. Disney also has resources that teach CP’s how to write resumes as well as cover letters to allow us to shine when it comes to bettering and moving throughout our careers. I have even found myself making connections at work. I remember one night talking to a guest who is a pastry chef in Chicago. I was casually dancing away the last hour of my shift before closing, and she jokingly commented at the amount of energy I had at such a late hour. We talked for a bit and she asked me about my career and my plans with Disney. Later on she told me about what she did and we connected further because that too is what I want to do. It was a really fulfilling conversation. Since I was still on the clock, I didn’t ask for her business card, but even just talking to her was a great experience.

One of the most important networking opportunities I had came about a week ago when I was assigned an essay for my Organizational leadership class where I had to interview one of my leaders. I was able to interview my leader Stephanie. We sat down for about a half an hour and we discussed her 35 year journey in the Walt Disney World Company. She started off working as a part time Cast Member in Epcot and managed to work her way up to becoming a leader. While she started part time work, she was able to obtain a managerial internship where she would work and was given projects that would allow her and her fellow team members to work to make innovative projects throughout the park. After that internship, she slowly applied for positions that were higher and higher but always in different parks. Eventually she was transferred to Port Orleans French Quarters. She informed me that the best way to become a manager is through the internship program because it teaches you how to be a leader without having the large amounts of responsibility at first. As a manager, one is responsible for everything. At French quarters, they are responsible for the inventory, money, schedules, and overall making sure that the operation runs smoothly. Because of the amount of responsibility, It takes time to climb the ladder. First, the managers have to train as hourly, understanding every part of the operation, down to putting fries in the fryer. After about a month of training in the uniforms, they start learning the other responsibilities from the other managers. With experience and time they learn what the best ways to resolve issues are.

This entry was posted in Read and React 3. Bookmark the permalink.