Read and React 2

In my location, Port Orleans Riverside, my leaders/ coordinators have meetings exactly at 11:30 pm and during a few of those meetings, they made sure we knew about the safety procedures and how to sign up for hurricane ride out. In which, I signed up for hurricane ride out and If anything was to happen and get the chance to experience it, I just know my leaders and Disney Resorts will keep everyone safe no matter what. They were actually a few leaders and cast members that experienced hurricane Irma last year in 2017, they each went around and let us know about their personal experience. I was even informed by my family members that the Walt Disney World Parks was opened right back up the next day or a day later. They put five or six cast members inside a room, they barely slept but everything was worth it because they got closer to each other, they got paid while even sleeping and most importantly was prepared to assist guests. They basically told us experiencing the hurricane ride out will be worth it and the leaders/coordinators had prepared them in every way. In these meetings, the leaders had mentioned the precautions detailed in, “The Storms of Summer”. In the article, during the hurricane season of 2004, Walt Disney World Resorts experience had prepared them for future hurricanes with the “five-phase approach to hurricane preparedness”. Disney always makes sure their cast members understand the “Safe-D begins with me” comes first and it’s extremely important.

During a time when I was working a coordinator gave out a small pamphlet to every cast member which the title boldly states, “Evacuation Plan Reminders, Walt Disney World Resort Operations”. My location makes sure we do not forget what to do during disasters, both natural and man-made. I actually read through and kept the pamphlet, so I am aware and prepared to know how to react and move if any disaster takes place in my resort. Inside the pamphlet, the heading is “MAKE A MOVE” underneath it, it has bullet points that demonstrate Plan A, Plan B, Plan C, and AA.

For Plan A: accelerated exit is informed by an alarm system, management trickle down method and radio all calls. Guests need to be informed by an alarm system or Cast member and guests exit using normal egress routes through doors in which they normally travel in and out, or the nearest exit.

For Plan B: emergency evacuation is guests and cast members to follow a pre-designated evacuation route through the nearest emergency exits to Assembly Areas.

For Plan C: seek cover or safe haven (shelter in place). Designed for situations when severe weather or other known threats outdoors exist, and it is not possible to immediately leave the Resort.

Lastly is “AA” which is a controlled location where Guests and Cast members assemble to receive further information or action. Emergency services provided in the event of a partial or full evacuation.

In the bottom Walt Disney World Resort Operations states, IN AN EMERGENCY, STAYING C.A.L.M. IS AS EASY AS A-B-C.” I agree to this because acting out and not being calm can make matters even worse, nothing can get done and people can get hurt as well. On the back of the pamphlet, it has three categories that state, “CONSIDER SAFETY FIRST”, “ASSESS THE SITUATION”, and “LET SOMEONE KNOW”.

This article and from what I’ve learned from my location will surely provide for my future in management because I will one day like to be a leader in a five-star Resort for the front desk. It will give me a head start in knowing the duties and responsibilities to make sure my guest and employees are safe always in any disaster and know how to plan for future disasters. Communication as well is very important, so my guests and employees are aware of knowing what to do when getting help and keep me informed about what happens when I am not around.

This entry was posted in Read and React 2. Bookmark the permalink.