Weekly Journal #6

Week number 6 has been another hectic week at work, but I canā€™t complain.Ā  I have been learning more and more about front desk and the different apps we can utilize to help make for a better guest experience during their stay.Ā I have also been getting much more familiar with the dining plan, which was somewhat of a setback for me in the past.Ā A lot of our guests book dining packages with their stay, and it is my responsibility to explain to them how to use it and what they can use it on.Ā  We have 3 different dining plans:Ā  Quick Service Dining Plan, Dining Plan, and Deluxe Dining Plan.Ā  Each plan gives you a certain number of ā€œsnackā€ credits which can be used on almost any small food item.Ā  The plans also include either quick service dining credits, or table service dining credits.Ā  Trying to explain to guests who are on the quick service dining plan why they canā€™t use their credits on table service restaurants was difficult at first, but I have been getting better at softening the blow for guests who have already made reservations.Ā All in all, I have been feeling MUCH more confident with my spiel over all to what I say to the guests when checking-in.

I haven't been to DHS in sometime, so Gabby & I went to ride Tower of Terror

I haven’t been to DHS in sometime, so Gabby & I went to ride Tower of Terror

Starting this week, I have also started training again.Ā  I am being cross-trained to be a front desk runner.Ā  This role entails logging in guests packages to the resort and ensuring that they get delivered to their room.Ā  It seems easy, but is a little confusing.Ā  There are few things I have to remember when logging in packages.Ā Before I start delivering, I have to check all of the packages I have put on my cart and ensure that none of the guests have had room changes since I have logged them in.Ā  If I deliver packages to an old room, I can get a reprimand for it.Ā  If there is alcohol in a package, I have to write a comment on a guestsā€™ portfolio stating that they need to come to the front desk to pick up their package so we can verify their ID.Ā  As well as leaving a comment, I must call the room as well notifying guest.

Besides delivering packages, I am also responsible for dealing with our hotSOS.Ā  hotSOS is an application that we have on our computers at the front desk.Ā  If a guest is having trouble with their safe, getting into their room or pulling down the bed (we have murphy beds in our rooms) we have to assist the guest requests first.Ā  Although I may only have ten or fifteen packages on my cart when out for deliveries, it takes about an hour or so to deliver everything because of guest requests that pop on my company phone every few minutes.Ā  With the hotSOS app, the requests ALWAYS come first and deliveries second.Ā  There is a 30 minute timer on every guests request from hotSOS and if I have not completed that task within the time frame, an alert gets sent to the leaders to notify them.Ā  They then call me from the company phone ask why it is taking so long.Ā  It is a little nerve-racking, but over time I think I will get the hang of it.

My new runner costume

My new runner costume

Overall, I had a very interesting week learning many things.Ā  Exploring while delivering packages gave me much more insight to the resort and will help me in the long run trying to explain directions to guests.

This entry was posted in Reflective Photo Journals. Bookmark the permalink.