Weekly Journal #5

This past week has been pretty busy, but loving every minute of it. At the beginning of the week I went to a concert “Plain White T’s” with fellow colleague Gabby. We danced the night away at the “Eat to the Beat Concert Series” held at Epcot. We had a blast!!

Gabby & I at the concert

Gabby & I at the concert

My work week has been quite hectic, but I’ve been getting more and mor confident talking to my guests. I have a routine of what to say when checking guests in, which has made it a lot easier.

Last week I had a couple who came to check-in who looked really sad. I kept up my bubbly personality and tried to change the mood of the coversation. The woman told me that her father-in-law recently passed away and her mother-in-law wasn’t doing too well. They came on vacation for an escape for a few days. Before coming to Disney, they were with his mother in the hospital for a month straight. I felt horrible and didn’t know what to say. I tried to changing the subject and asked if they had any fun things planned during their stay. The husband left to go to bathroom with teary eyes while she finished the rest of the check-in.  She told me that she is going to surprise him with Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party tickets to help cheer him up. They have been going every year for the past 10 years or so. She was telling me how happy it makes him to see the halloween parade and halloween fireworks. Immediately I thought to myself, “what can I do to make his surprise even better?”. I then took out my “no strings attached” coupon book and wrote 2 coupons for matching halloween shirts to redeem at the party once they arrive. She was so surprised she came around the counter and hugged me tight. She couldn’t stop thanking me. It made me feel so good that I could help brighten the beginning of their vacation. I hoped they would have came back the next day and told me about their night but unfortunately I never saw them again. Yesterday at work, the GM of our resort called me to the back office. Thinking I was in trouble, I got really nervous. Once getting to his office he told me that the couple personally e-mailed him to let him know how much I impacted their vacation. I wasn’t expecting any recognition. I just wanted them to have a great time at the halloween party. They were going through a lot, and I knew this would help bring some joy!  Although they didn’t have to write anything to the GM, it made me feel so great that they did! Considering I didn’t see them for the rest of their stay, I was glad to hear that they had an amazing time!

I also started class this week. I was a little nervous, but excited at the same time. One class requires a lot of group work. I think I picked a good group of students to work with this semester! They seem very nice and I don’t think they will slack on their part of the work. Only time will tell though.

Overall, this was great week! Here’s to week 6!

This entry was posted in Reflective Photo Journals. Bookmark the permalink.