Prof. Jenna Spevack | COMD3504_D061 | SPRING 2024 | Thurs 2:30pm

Graphic Design and Mental Health-SHR

Mental Health has always been an issue between the stages of Art. Making art has been known to improve a persons Mental Health and Graphic Design is field based off Art and Communication, people who have this job have a passion for art and creativity so it raises the question can this Field technically be a way of Art Therapy. Being a Designer in general can be great career path and really open your mind but no job is perfect and comes with flaws, how would your mental health be effected by this? Will it be improved or Declined?

Script for Presentation

Slides

Annotated Bibliography

Print this page

1. Avar He Zapata

Really interesting topic. I can’t really think of anything to critique about at the moment. Good!

2. Adrika Hoque

Hey Sonali, I enjoyed your exploration into design and mental health. You had good research and your presentation seemed well prepared. I think the slides might benefit from being less wordy and turned into bullet points. You also explained the pros and cons very well. Nice presentation!

3. Miranda N.

Hey Sonali,

I found your presentation regarding assessing a career, specifically in Art Therapy, in relation to mental health for the practitioner really fascinating. What a cool idea and approach to a presentation!

This was the first time I’d seen the idea, and visually represented at that, of negative emotions + creativity equalling innovation. I love this concept. It is quite liberating, especially when creative work is hard, or I don’t feel my best but must create anyway. Thanks for that.

The contrast of workplace pressure is so real.

[trigger warning!

area below contains: death, drugs & addiction, children in difficulty]

___________________

I will add, as an educator, sometimes the reason someone is in my class, or going to art therapy, is because hard things are happening. I teach neurodiverse kids, and have for twenty years. Sometimes they say tough stuff, and I have to absorb it. Or the worst things happen to these children, and I know about it, and have to absorb the knowledge. I have never had to report anyone, but I have had a student die. These are hard realities to assess in your consideration. It’s very real to deal with people, and very real to do anything with the word “therapy” attached.

I was teaching kids knitting and heard they were going to visit their drug addicted mom who lost them to foster care. This is something they felt safe to tell me, to say in “class”, to soften enough to say. I fell so privileged to have been present for them in that moment. Sometimes that is what we have, and is enough.

____________

[end trigger area]

That can be the power. So it’s hard, yeah, but it can be very grounding and rewarding. You’re the only one who can know for yourself if it’s a match.

Someone told me the Torah says when you teach someone, they are your student forever. I find this to be true. It is a sweetness, even with the hard things of life’s realities. The engagement is rich, regardless.

4. Miranda N.

Sonali, also, your slides were Beautiful!

And the idea of connecting and communicating with sketching as the “device” is such a tremendous art therapy tool. It works, I’ve seen it. Not every time, but it does work over time. <3

5. Tonisha

Hey, Sonali good choice on topic for presenting. If you had been a little more specific on the type of art; music, drawing, etc it would bring your ideas and research more precise to the topic. In general, you’ve applied good reasonings behind your research.