Prof. Jenna Spevack | COMD3504_D061 | SPRING 2024 | Thurs 2:30pm

Week 15 Agenda

Photo by Md Abdul Halim

Tasks Due Today from Week 14

• Reviewed Week 14 Agenda
  • Posted your Research Project Presentation and prepared to present!
  • Added at least 1 supportive comment on each of my classmates’ Research Project Presentation posts.
  • Reviewed the Assignments List to make sure you’re on track to submit all coursework by May 22nd.
  • Completed the Art of Noticing task
  • Submitted Week 14 Agenda Checklist

Check-in (5 min)

Spring 2024 Playlist

Last Class!

Reminders:

• All coursework (see Assignments list), including your Writing Portfolio, comments on your classmates’ presentations, Reading Responses, Discussion comments, Designer’s Cookbook posts, and any additional work you’d like to submit or revise, should be posted by Wednesday May 22nd.
  • Any work you’d like feedback on from me should be submitted by today, Week 15. Please notify me if you’d like feedback.
  • Your Grade Survey is due by Wednesday May 22nd. Your learning reflection and the grade you believe you have earned for this course will be factored into your final grade.
  • If you have any questions or concerns about your final grade or anything else, contact me.

Submit your Stereotype Essay for publication!

Review the guidelines and if interested, please submit your Stereotype essay for consideration in Many Voices.

Screenshot of the Many Voices website

Graphic Communications Fund’s Scholarship Award!

If you are in good academic standing, please apply now.

Freewrite – The Art of Noticing (15 min)

Prompt: In your language of choice, write continuously in your notebook for 10 minutes about what you noticed this week when completing the task. Don’t edit, or correct, don’t stop, just write. Feel free to share or not.

This week’s task brought to you by Jenna:

Practice Digital Silence

Consider observing a set period of time each day of digital silence. Start with 5 minutes and work you way up to entire day. Let your people know you’re signing off for X amount of time, and fully silence your devices – put them in the fridge if you must. Go for a walk, read a book, write a story, make a drawing, have a conversation with your grandma, but do it without checking, watching or engaging with your devices. What do you notice?

ART OF NOTICING

Activities

Below, find the information covered in this session. Complete all of the following activities, videos, and assignments.

1. Wrap up

In this course, we explored at the formative history and critical theories that help us better understand our design practice and asked the question “why?” within historical, cultural, and social contexts. When we look at philosophical, ethical, political, and aesthetic questions in the field of design, our ability to think creatively and critically expands.

My aim is that you will start to include the question “why?” within your own design practice and begin to see how your own aesthetic influences connect to historical lineages in the field of design. Please remember how important your voice is (verbal, written, and visual) to the future of the communication design field. And get it out there!

I hope you will apply some of the practices we covered in this course in your design projects here at City Tech and in your future creative career.

2. Research Project Presentations!

Those who didn’t present last week, please share your Research Projects. Remember, this is a friendly review. The goal is to get feedback from your peers and improve your work.

As your classmates share their presentations, write down some comments and then add them to your classmates’ posts before the end of class – if possible.

View all the Presentation posts by navigating to Student Posts > Research Project.

Give at least 1 comment per presentation. Your comment should be supportive AND helpful!

This is NOT a helpful comment:

“Great presentation, I like it”

A helpful comment offers support, a critique of the content and delivery of the research material, as well as suggestions for improvement:

“Great presentation, NAME. I enjoyed your exploration of XXXX and XXXX. I was especially excited to learn about XXXX and XXXX. I was intrigued by your discussion of XXXX because you presented it by exploring XXXX and contrasted it with XXXX. However, I would have liked to have learned more about XXXXX. Have you considered expanding on XXXX and XXXX? Here are some links about XXXX that I think would be helpful for your future research.”

3. Designer’s Cookbook

Don’t forget to check out your colleagues’ Designer’s Cookbook posts! Some really great work here. Thanks to all who contributed!

4. Grade Survey [IMPORTANT!]

What grade did you have earned in this course?

Please complete the Grade Survey before May 22nd. This survey helps me to align your Learning Plan, the work you submitted, and the course requirements to determine your final grade. Self-evaluation of your learning experience and your effort is critical and will be considered.

Please reach out if you’d like to meet to discuss your final grade!

5. Course Evaluation

• Please complete this ANONYMOUS survey to help us improve this course and its delivery. Feel free to express both positive and critical thoughts about the course. Share practical thoughts about how the course can be improved for other students. Thank you!

• This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Best wishes for a safe, relaxing break. Please stay in touch!

Week 15 Agenda Checklist

Below are all of the tasks, big and small, for this week. The due date is Wednesday, May 22nd.

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out.

Tasks from the Week 15 Agenda
Name(Required)

Print this page

1. Nick

Research Project