Prof. Jenna Spevack | COMD3504_D061 | SPRING 2024 | Thurs 2:30pm

AI & the Future of Design – AH

Introduction

The rapid development of AI has left us with many questions. One being, what is real in a world where we can generate audio, video, and language without having to lift a finger? And how will life be changing moving forward? Artificial intelligence is trained to create predictions using pre-existing content. Many artists and designers have had their work used to train AI without their permission or consent. With shifting landscapes, the artist and designer is forced to adapt to a new world involving AI. Communication models offer mixed responses with differing dominant and preferred readings. The world we are in is shaped by our experiences and what is shown to us from the media. It is ultimately up to us to decide how we will be moving forward in this new world of artificial intelligence.

Links

Annotated Bibliography

Presentation Script

Presentation Slides

Print this page

1. tonisha

Hey Adrika, well done on your presentation. I like how you interact with your viewers with the difference of AI and artist work. Your presentation and research was well put together and executed well. You had everyone talking after the presentation! GOOD FOR YOU!

2. Sonali Heath

Hello Adrika, your presentation was really thought out and put together, which I found very interesting. I agree with that fact that it’s up to us as creatives to take to step forward to not let Ai overrule us but to work with or adapt to Ai. Ive recently seen online about on the new about sora ai has the ability realistic videos, I feel like adding a visual example of that video would have been a really nice touch to your presentation. Overall all you did a wonderful job explaining your topic.

3. Andre Sadhu

Great job addressing your topic Adrika. Good use of timeline of events and explaining the concerns and current status of ai. You wrapped it up nicely. I also liked the quote “At what point does inspiration become stealing?”

4. Miranda N.

Hey Adrika,

Your showing of the catch with AI learning being learning from “preexisting content” is so timely and a good explanation of this slice of the AI consent vs inspiration vs stealing issue.

The use of a timeline was very cool, and your ‘hinge’, if you will, of asking, “now what do I do about it?” puts a nice spin on the presentation by asking for thought and action from the viewer, while making a determination as a designer. Nice thinking.