The article I chose, How dogs stole our hearts by David Grimm is about the discovery of how dogs release the love hormone oxytocin when gazing in a humans eyes. The hormonal release helps create the bond between humans and dogs similar to how a mother releases oxytocin when bonding with her infant. After creating 10 thumbnails, I chose three concepts that I think helps illustrate the article. Link to article: https://www.science.org/content/article/how-dogs-stole-our-hearts

The first concept is a human and dog eye side by side with a heart within the pupil. This is to show how the love hormone, oxytocin is released by the gazing. It also demonstrates how the bond between the human and dog is being formed.

The second concept is the dog looking at you with hearts in their pupils and the word oxytocin being repeated in the background, to create an echo effect. I wanted to show both of a dog’s eye gazing at you and make oxytocin appear as if it’s surrounding the dog.

The last concept is a side view of a dog’s head with an hand petting them. The symbol for oxytocin is shown moving out of the dog’s eye. Originally, in the thumbnail, I did not include the hand petting the dog’s head. But after hearing my classmate’s opinions, I added the hand. This helps show how the dog is creating the bond. I also made the oxytocin symbol bigger.

Overall, I believe I have created good concept sketches that can help illustrate the meaning of the article.