Life changeā€ People tend to face difficulties and challenges in their lives. Through experiences, they can create a better understanding of themselves. Some experiences change us for the better, others are regrettable. It is a human way of understanding , as individuals, to either learn and take them as a lesson or fall back. This isĀ  life. About 19 years , I had a life changing experience, I was in a place called Aden. Aden is a city in Yemen. I heard mom speaking to dad with her phone. Dad married when he was 16; and left to live inĀ  the USA. When she was talking she smiled. As if she were welcoming a new world with an effective smile.Ā  And for the first time in my life I felt safe and secure. I knew that she was going to be fine with dad and that life was going to keep going for her. I was so young at the time, I didnā€™t seem to care about traveling .Tears rushed down my face, knowing that she was happy. However,Ā  I felt happy for her. I was so glad that she finally found the happiness that she deserved.

Lending to the USA airport . The plane wasĀ  tiring. I see women dressed differently thanĀ  women in my home country. And I see women and men walking while holding hands. I didn’t understand but I am very confused. Why is that? I have never been in a place where people do that. At 5pm dad finally arrived with a taxi. We went to his apartmentĀ  and then called to get a pizza. We had fun getting to know the family. Then dad was leaving work and my mom was sleeping. I am so tired but I can’t sleep. I keep thinking about how different everything is here. I feel like I am in a dream. I am wishing everything will be better. But I am not sure what the future will bring. I am tired. I want to bed

3 weeks have passed and I’m still stressed and confused about how things run in here. Dad petted my head and told me that everything is going to be fine. And next week I’ll start school. I’m glad that it’s going to be a new experience and that I’m going to make new friends. I’m even happier that I have new goals to aim for. So I guess it’s time for me to start a new life and make the best out of it. I hope that I can find comfort and joy in my new life. I’m ready for the struggles and challenges that are going to come my way. I can do this. I will do this.

The real experience starts here. My first day of school was at 8:30 am. Mom got ready and we headed to the car. And then we are on our way to school. Mom looked at me in the mirror. and she says, ā€œHaifa you’re going to be okay “. And she kissed my head and wished me luck. and then we drove to school. and it was beautiful. and we walked insideĀ  the building. I was nervous. But mom and dad were just by my side. and I was a little bit scared. but I had nothing to be scared about. There were many kids there. and I’ll be fine.

Inside the class was full with studentsĀ  that were all playing. 2 girls rushed my way . I was a bit confused, the girls were wearing a yellow T shirt that had a blue skirt. They started saying: ā€œHi what’s your name?ā€ . I staredĀ  at them and moved my head not knowing what they were saying. The tall girlĀ  then said: ā€œOh I am Jessica, this is my friend, Want to play with us. I still can’tĀ  understand but Jessica’s friend grabbed the toys and ran to my side showing me them. I grabbed the toys and then she started playing with me. The friend then said: I think she can’t speak English. And I smile in English. Later that day I was home and I said to mom I can’t helpĀ  this. I can’t understand anything students say. What am I apparently learning? Mom said it takes time sweetie.

Years later, in middle school. Still jassi with me. And not only I understand when she talks but also when she curses. I’m not saying that learning English was hard but leaving to a different place andĀ  knowing anybody but my family was a different experience. I was so scared and anxious that my mind was set into overdrive, I was trying to remember everything that I was taught at school. I had to remember everything from a language that I barely knew. It was hard and i wanted to go back but i kept trying.