Childhood friends that make it to adulthood with you are extremely important. It’s rare that you come across friends who are genuine, really know who you are and cherish the friendship as much as you do. These are the friends that turn into family. Luckily I have two people like this in my life, Dennis and Uran. We don’t talk everyday but whenever we do see each other it’s like no time has passed and we pick up right back from where we left off to catch one another up on the latest news in our lives.

Dennis has been my friend literally since we were in diapers. Our grandmothers lived next door to each other and our mothers have been friends since their 20s. It was only right that him and I became friends, best friends at that. When we were younger he was always known as the boy who looked like Harry Potter with the same glasses and same bowl-like haircut. I always knew he was destined to do something huge in life and that is soon to come as he’s pursuing his dreams of being an artist. He has such an old soul with the biggest love for music I’ve ever seen. He’s one of those people who gets along with any and everyone, with such a free spirit and no judgment towards a single individual.

He’s the friend I know I could go to for help with literally anything. His family is my family and vise versa. I walk into his house and feel as though it’s my own, the bond we share is so great that blood couldn’t make us any closer. We have so many childhood memories together from spending summers at Coney Island, chilling on the stoop, running up and down the block during hot summer days in the fire hydrant, even trips to Virginia and the Bahamas. To say that we have 20 years of friendship under our belt is amazing.

Uran has also been my friend for quite some time. We actually went to elementary and middle school together but never became friends until high school even though he had always been friends with Dennis. Uran and I have such a unique friendship where we always make fun of each other any chance we get and it’s honestly the funniest thing ever. There’s not a time I see him and don’t make fun of him in some way. Besides making fun of me, he really is a great person. He’s a friend I can count on to talk about anything with and he’s not afraid to tell me when I’m wrong in a situation. We have many moments where we talk a lot about our future goals, relationships, or plans we made for the following week. When I want to try out a new place to eat this is the friend I call. 

There’s so much more to these friendships that I can go on and on about. They’re really people you come across once in a lifetime and I’m beyond grateful to have them be a part of my life.