Course Schedule – ENG1141 OL02

Please note the following details:

• This class is entirely online and synchronous, which means there are meeting times. The days and times are as follows: Tuesday/Thursday 10:00 – 11:15 AM.
  • Attendance and participation are crucial to earning a passing grade in this class. Each session you attend (and actively participate in) earns points that cannot be made up. I’ll “forgive” three absences at the end of the semester.
  • What is “active participation”? Just as in an in-person class, if you are online at the beginning, middle, and end of class, ask questions, contribute to the discussion in the small or large groups, and show that you’ve read the assigned assignments before class—all those things are active participation.
  • Some assignment deadlines are small, some are large. All of them count toward your final grade! Don’t assume that because you completed only the major assignments, you’ll get a passing, much less a desirable grade.
  • This schedule is a living document, which means it may change. I will let you know as soon as possible if I make any alterations to assignments or due dates. Be sure to check your email and/or OpenLab on a daily basis to keep up with everything for this class.

Week 1: 

Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Introduction: Course Overview & Getting to Know Each Other

DISCUSS/READ:

• As a class, we will do the following:
  • Go to the OpenLab class site.
  • Take a tour of OpenLab.
  • Read the introduction to course, look over the syllabus, open and review all course tabs/sections.
  • Homework: Read my “Meet My Feet” story under Discussions.

Thursday, February 4, 2021

DISCUSS:

• Discuss my â€śMeet My Feet.” What did you enjoy about my story? What questions do you have?
  • I’ll lead a discussion on how to give appropriate feedback on someone’s writing.

WRITE:  

• Homework: Write your own “Meet My _____.” You can use your shoes or another object that you feel shares something about you. Post it under Student Work: Assignment Posts on OpenLab. Do not make it private; your classmates will need to read it next week.
  • Read Chapter One from Ann Patchett’s Truth & Beauty.

Week 2:

Tuesday, February 9, 2021

DISCUSS/READ:

• Be prepared to discuss your classmates’ “Meet My ______” and Chapter One from Ann Patchett’s Truth & Beauty.

WRITE: 

• Homework: Critique Patchett’s work in a paragraph. What did you enjoy about her work? What questions do you have? Post under Student Work: Discussions. (Follow the guide from Week 1 but add it under Discussions, not Student Assignments.)

Thursday, February 11, 2021

WORKSHOP:

• Based on comments and self-review, bring your revised “Meet My _____” to your assigned Cohort (this will be explained in class).
  • Homework: Respond to each of your Cohort members and email the responses by Friday. Read your Cohort members’ critiques before Tuesday’s class; if you have questions about their critique, be sure to email them privately.
  • Journal Assignment 1: Using Patchett’s work as an example, write about a friendship that has been significant to you. (Who is it? How did you meet? Why are they important to you?)
  • Post under Journals. Be sure to write the following in the title: Your Full Name, Journal 1.

Week 3: 

Tuesday, February 16, 2021

DISCUSS/READ:

• We’ll have a discussion of “Now what?” and when to utilize critiques and when to blow them off.

Thursday, February 18, 2021

WRITING DAY:

• Revise “Meet My _____” for evaluation.
  • Homework: Turn in revised “Meet My _____” and post it under Memoir by 11:59 PM on Thursday, 2/18/21.
  • Read your at least three classmates’ critiques of Patchett or Anonymous’ work. Comment on them in the “reply” section. With what do you agree or disagree? Be specific! (“I agree with X’s thoughts on X” is not specific. “I agree with X because of X” is specific.)

Week 4: 

Tuesday, February 23, 2021

DISCUSS:

• Plot in memoir (and other genres).
  • Talk about my discussion: What questions do you have about plot in memoir or other genres?

WRITE:

• Homework: Journal Assignment 2: Write about a time you’ve felt you were anonymous (either by choice or not)

Thursday, February 25, 2021

WORKSHOP:

• Bring a NEW memoir piece (you can use your journals entries or anything that would be considered a memoir) for your Cohort to respond to.
  • Homework: Read Myriam Gurba’s â€śPendeja, You Ain’t Steinbeck: My Bronca with Fake-Ass Social Justice Literature.”

Week 5: 

Tuesday, March 2, 2021

DISCUSS/READ: 

• Be ready to discuss Myriam Gurba’s â€śPendeja, You Ain’t Steinbeck: My Bronca with Fake-Ass Social Justice Literature.”

WRITE: 

• Homework: A formal critique of Gurba’s work. Post it under Discussions.

Thursday, March 4, 2021

DISCUSS/READ:

• I’ll lead a discussion on Characterization in memoir (or any genre).
  • Read and discuss your classmates’ critiques of Gurba’s work.

WRITE:

• Homework: Comment on at least four of your classmates’ critiques of Gurba’s work. With what do you agree or disagree? Be specific! (“I agree with X’s thoughts on X” is not specific. “I agree with X because of X” is specific.)

Week 6:

Tuesday, March 9, 2021

DISCUSS/OPEN MIC:

• We’ll discuss your experience with memoir writing and share memoirs with the class (no worries—this is optional).

WRITE:

• Homework: Revise your second memoir and post it under Memoir by 11:59 PM on 3/9/21.
  • Journal Assignment 3: Reflect on your experience with memoir writing—good, bad, so-so, and why.
  • Read Edward P. Jones’ â€śThe First Day”

Thursday, March 11, 2021

READ/DISCUSS:

• I’ll lead a discussion on short fiction, real life in fiction, and POV.
  • Discuss Edward P. Jones’ â€śThe First Day”

WRITE:

• Homework: A formal critique of Jones’ work. Post it under Discussions.
  • Journal Assignment 4: Visit a park, coffee shop, or another public place that is buzzing with activity (being sure to socially distance yourself and wearing a mask, of course). Take note of what you hear the people around you say. Share what you noticed/heard.

Week 7: 

Tuesday, March 16, 2021

DISSCUS/READ: 

• Discuss your classmates’ critiques of Jones’ work, focusing on our discussion about short fiction and POV.

WRITE:

• Homework: Begin to write short story based on a real event, but NOT first person.
  • Comment on at least four of your classmates’ critiques of Jones’ work. With what do you agree or disagree? Be specific! (“I agree with X’s thoughts on X” is not specific. “I agree with X because of X” is specific.)
  • Read Ursula K. Le Guin’s â€śThe Wife’s Story.”

Thursday, March 18, 2021

READ/DISCUSS: 

• Discuss Ursula K. Le Guin’s â€śThe Wife’s Story.”

WRITE: 

• Homework: A formal critique of Le Guin’s work. Post it under Discussions.
  • Continue writing a short story based on a real event, but NOT first person.

Week 8:

Tuesday, March 23, 2021

DISCUSS/READ:

• I’ll lead a discussion on POV.
  • You’ll respond to your classmates’ critiques of Le Guin’s work.

WRITE: 

• Homework: Finish writing a short story based on a real event, but NOT first person.
  • Comment on at least four of your classmates’ critiques of Le Guin’s work. With what do you agree or disagree? Be specific! (“I agree with X’s thoughts on X” is not specific. “I agree with X because of X” is specific.)

Thursday, March 25, 2021

WORKSHOP:

•  Bring your short story and review your Cohort’s work.

WRITE:

• Homework: Journal Assignment 5: Write about a moment from your past that changed you. It can be a large or small change—but focus on what, exactly, happened and how you changed.
  • Read Chapter One from Ta-Nehisi Coates’ The Water Dancer.

Week 9:

SPRING BREAK! No class on Tuesday, March 30 or Thursday, April 1, 2021!

Week 10:

Tuesday, April 6, 2021

DISCUSS/READ:

• I’ll lead a discussion about real-life experiences and why writers sometimes fictionalize them.
  • Discuss Chapter One from Ta-Nehisi Coates’ The Water Dancer.

WRITE:

• Homework: A formal critique of Coates’ work. Post it under Discussions.
  • Comment on at least four of your classmates’ critiques of Coates’ work. With what do you agree or disagree? Be specific! (“I agree with X’s thoughts on X” is not specific. “I agree with X because of X” is specific.)

Thursday, April 8, 2021

WRITING DAY:

• Revise first short story and post it under Short Stories by 11:59 PM on 4/8/21.
  • Begin writing a NEW story in any POV you like but focus on the setting and/or context.

Week 11:

Tuesday, April 13, 2021

WORKSHOP:

• Bring your new short story for your Cohort to review.
  • Read and respond to your Cohort’s work.
  • Homework: Find four poems that you’ve enjoyed in the past.

Thursday, April 15, 2021

OPEN MIC/DISCUSS:

• We’ll discuss short story writing and have an open mic (again, optional).

WRITE:

• Homework: Journal Assignment 6: Reflect on your experience with short story writing—good, bad, so-so, and why.
  • Read/Watch Staceyann Chin’s “Tsunami Rising.”

Week 12:

Tuesday, April 20, 2021

READ/DISCUSS:

• I’ll lead a brief discussion on voice & style in poetry (and other genres).
  • Bring the poems you’ve found and be prepared to read and briefly state why you enjoy these poems.

WRITE:

• Homework: Begin writing four poems in the forms we’ve discussed.

Thursday, April 22, 2021

WRITING DAY:

• Continue writing four poems in the forms we’ve discussed.

Week 13: 

Tuesday, April 27, 2021

WORKSHOP:

• Bring your poems for your Cohort to review.
  • Review and respond to your Cohort’s work.
  • Homework: Post your second short story under Short Stories.
  • Read assigned scenes from Suzan-Lori Parks’ play, Topdog/Underdog.

Thursday, April 29, 2021

DISCUSS/READ:

• I’ll lead a discussion about dialogue in drama (and other genres).
  • Assigned scenes from Suzan-Lori Parks’ play, Topdog/Underdog.

WRITE:

• Homework: Revise your poems and post them under Poetry by 11:59 PM on 4/29/21.
  • Journal Assignment 7: Reflect on your experience with poetry writing—good, bad, so-so, and why.

Week 14:

Tuesday, May 4, 2021

OPEN MIC/DISCUSS:

• We’ll discuss writing poetry and have an open mic (optional).
  • I’ll lead a discussion about using text threads to inspire writing dialogue.

WRITE:

• Homework: Find at least three text threads and rewrite them as dialogue.
  • Journal Assignment 8: Take/create the dialogue from Journal Assignment 4 and revise it to tell a story (perhaps fashion it after Topdog/Underdog).

Thursday, May 6, 2021

WORKSHOP:

• Bring your text threads to your Cohort for review.

Week 15:

Tuesday, May 11, 2021

DISCUSS:

• I’ll lead a discussion about the Final Portfolio and Final Reflection.

WRITE:

• Homework: Begin working on your Final Reflection and prepare your Final Portfolio.
  • Revise your texts and post them under Dialogues by 11:59 PM on 5/11/21.

Thursday, May 13, 2021

OPEN MIC/DISCUSS:

• We’ll talk about writing dialogue and have an open mic (optional)

WORKSHOP:

• Homework: Continue working on your Final Reflection and your Final Portfolio.

Week 16:

Reading Day: Tuesday, May 18, 2021 (No classes meet on this day. This is a day to prepare for final exams and projects—including the Final Reflection and Final Portfolio!)

Thursday, May 20, 2021

WORKSHOP:

• Bring your Final Reflection for your Cohort to review.

WRITE:

• Homework: Journal Assignment 9: Reflect on your experience with dialogue writing—good, bad, so-so, and why.
  • Continue writing your Final Reflection.
  • Choose one memoir, one short story, one poem, and one dialogue to be in the Final Portfolio. Revise/rewrite each piece based on my comments and those of your peers.

Week 17 (Finals Week): 

Tuesday, May 25, 2021

OPEN MIC:

• Choose one or two pieces to share for our open mic! (We’ll start with one—if we have time, we’ll have another round.)

WRITE:

• Homework: Journal 10: If you could write a letter to a future student of this class, what would you tell them?

FINAL REFLECTION & FINAL PORTFOLIO DUE by 11:59 PM on 5/24/21!

Print this page