I’ll omit most of the details about my friend for the sake of their privacy, but also because it doesn’t really matter. Their name, appearance, gender, age, and other such features are extraneous to the type of person they are.

The first time we met was through pure chance; I visited a high school because I was forced to “check out” some schools to see if I would like them. If I were more religious, I’d say school doors are cursed. Going through them is like going through a shrine gate; you’re transported from your normal life to a life where things are different. You’re judged and graded by your actions. You’re given assignments you don’t want to do. You must sit in a room you don’t want to sit in. Things that sound tedious in normal life become reality in schools.

It was in just another room to gaze at before my escort met a friend of theirs and started talking. I knew this meant I had an hour to burn before we could move on, so I had to find some way to spend this time. On any other day, I’d pull out a handheld console to burn the day away. However, I didn’t have this option today. Why? I don’t remember, it doesn’t matter anyways. The bottom line is that I had to decide on a backup plan, and that came in the form of talking to the only other person around my age.

There were a lot of questions I asked that day in total, but most of them were pretty unnecessary in hindsight. What’re you doing here? School tour. By choice? No. Did you have plans today? A shrug. Games? For the sake of your time, I’ve shortened the line of questioning to this final foot in the door. Every other question was met with a lukewarm answer at best, so I was lucky to find a foothold when I did. This person was willing to answer questions, but these answers were short and direct. On any other day? I’m out of there; I know when I’m talking to a brick wall. But today? We had a piece of common ground, a rarity when you consider just how many things people can potentially like or dislike.

The story past that is actually kinda boring: we talked about games. What do you want? I’m a human, not a main character. Once I was out of that cursed land though, we continued talking on various mediums. Regarding that, you should know that sometimes, distance changes people. When behind a screen, some people find bravery they didn’t originally have, or they find they’re meaner than they are in person. However… that was a complete misdirect by me. Whether it be IRC, Slack, Steam, or on forums, we still had the same connection we had in person. These are the best types of people to befriend. People who are themselves, true to life and true to a screen.

That original meeting… it was maybe 5, 6 years ago?

Current day, they’re my number 2.
I hope everyone can find someone nice to confide in. It doesn’t have to be a relationship either, just a reliable friend can be worth more than a husband or wife. People like this are rare, and you can’t guarantee you’ll find one, but you can be this type of person. Change the world in the only way you can: by changing yourself.

… were you expecting a longer story?

Well, there isn’t one. I’m human, and being a human comes with the fact that not everything is interesting. Thinking about it, I’d even be willing to say that most people live lives that aren’t notable or book worthy. I mean, that’s why the word “average” exists. You can’t just have everyone living an extraordinary life because in that world, nobody’s living an extraordinary life. The value of your life will always stick with you. I can’t make you live my life how I did because you’re not me, and I’m fine with that.

On any other day… maybe I don’t even have this story.