Writing memoirs has been very neutral to me. I’ve lived enough of a life to accept that not everything is notable and the most fun I’ve had have been in moments that I can’t even begin to express to another person through text. I’m sure a more experienced writer could chalk this up to me not knowing enough words, but there’s a deeper issue here. Personally, I’ve filed away all these moments already and going back to them just doesn’t feel like it’s worthwhile enough to go in depth with it. That’s why I have a gimmick with these journals and memoirs, I think it’s the only fun way to write them for myself and for the reader.

It’s unreasonable for me to spend five thousand words to properly frame a moment of my life that I like, but it’s much more reasonable to throw five hundred to a thousand words onto a screen for a fun lesson or story. This isn’t just about me either. I’ve been a student, and I’ve graded papers for teachers, and you can feel when someone’s writing about something they don’t care about. I still pass them because they don’t deserve to get a zero for not caring about a subject, that’s just how it is sometimes. However, I don’t want to be the guy who writes a long but meaningless story for the grade while students in my class have to read through paragraphs and paragraphs of worthless drivel.

I don’t love the experience, I don’t hate it, I just am.