Anyone from the age of 14 to 24 who wanted a chance to be apart of the Summer Youth Employment Program also known as SYEP could apply. Before I even considered joining the program, I had prior job experiences working in a security company and also working for MTA. So, my goal when joining the Summer Program was to choose from those options. To my surprise, all the slots for all those positions quickly filled up. I was instantly discouraged when I heard about this and spoke to my best friend about the situation. I told her I wanted to leave the program and just spend time with my friends with what was left of that summer. However, she persuaded me to stay in and choose what they had to offer me. Later on, I found out I would be working in an elementary school summer camp. This was far from what I wanted to do but I took the position anyway. 

Throughout that summer, I was assigned 3rd grade and from then everything took off. There were days I bought all the kids ice cream and took them to the park to have fun. My boss was so impressed with my dedication that he offered me a guaranteed spot working directly for him. To this day, I have moved up with my grade and now work with 4th grade aiding them with homework assistance, social, emotional, and psychological development. There are even days that when I am absent from work, I would come back the next day to hear my kids would cry saying they missed me. Now, if I stay on track, I have the potential of being the youngest ever assistant director for the After-school program. Hence, this job has changed my complete outlook on life and I personally feel that this job is what defines who I am as an individual. In a sense, my job is my way of escapism.