A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

Artist Statement-

I always wondered why our generation was so different from the older ones. Why do people wish they were born in the 80s or 90s, or any time in the past? I realized that we have so many resources that have shaped our lives and will continue to affect our future. So why is this generation so lazy and shallow? My research was based on influencing the audience’s perspective, by including articles on past and present comparisons, as well as the technological benefits and disadvantages. What sparked my interest was frustration. How could people have the opportunity to be so connective and genuine but choose to be so materialistic, shallow, and complacent. My audience is for young adults and teenagers who always like to look at a screen. My purpose is to define our daily benefits for a different outlook and approach to our futures, to change the world for the better. It doesn’t have to be as monumental as making history, but awareness can lead to self correction and self benefit. Since you can’t control everyone, you can at least control yourself, and if everyone fixed their vices, the world would have been a dream. My cartoon piece is to take my analytical, monotonous research and apply it to a comical, simple storyline. Since our attention spans are limited, and our focus is drawn to visual presentations because of technology, I thought a comic would be fun to create and share, in addition to being a creative process. 

My comic isn’t as informative as my research. Based on my storyline, I tried to make it short and comical. In my research, I included many comparisons on the past and present differences on mechanisms. I noted the benefits and disadvantages for technology too. I talked about how technology helped with transportation, efficiency in tasks, and how it improved communication with people. But I also referred to the health risks and addressed the authenticity of today’s society. You had to be more physically interactive to maintain relationships because of low tech landlines. But it’s strange how harsh and insensitive the internet can be when given facetime, texts, email, and messages with social media platforms. It made me think, why do teenagers spend most of their time on a screen? How has interaction changed throughout the advancement of science? I thought the comic went well, editing and digitally illustrating is very complicated on other platforms, but luckily the module given on OpenLab was easy and fun to play around with. The mood in my comic is silly and brief, yet my research is factual and extensive. While my artist’s statement explains my interpretation on the whole matter. I think next time, I should strategically write out a better script where it’s short but very precise in comical comments and short facts. I understand many are set in their ways, I don’t expect the average teenager to throw away their phone for good. But as you grow older, you become more aware of present situations and matters. One day, we will choose how to change our lives, because our leaders won’t do it for us. The curiosity and creation of technology, furthers society to the unknown, whether it be communication, or new discoveries.

1. Genesis

Hey we choose the same character LOL ! Your comic was so entertaining I felt like I could read this more longer because of the way it was illustrated and THE AFFECTS were on point ! This piece definitely gave us a view of how life without technology is ! But I have a question ? Why not mention more about the technology that is used today ????