A City Tech OpenLab Course Site

One source entry draft

“New Research: Identify and Treat Insomnia.” Sleep Foundation, National Sleep Foundation, 28 July 2020, www.sleepfoundation.org/articles/new-research-identify-and-treat-insomnia-early-reduce-risk-other-illnesses.

The article discusses insomnia being a common sleep disorder that often increase the risks of developing other illnesses such as depression, diabetes, hypertension & possibly death among adults. Six to ten percent of adults have an insomnia disorder. The common medication prescribed to those with insomnia are antidepressants & antihistamines. However, these two drugs are yet to be approved for treating insomnia. Two treatments such as CBT & approved hypnotic drugs have shown long lasting benefits, no side effects or risks. CBT is highly affective treating insomnia, however, there is a shortage of healthcare professionals to practice this treatment.

I agree with the article’s stance. The main point highlighted in the article is that insomnia needs further extensive research & a surplus of health care professionals trained in CBT therapies. “There is an urgent need for more public education about sleep and broader dissemination of evidence-based therapies for insomnia, and education and training to prepare health-practitioners to attend and treat insomnia complaints according to clinical guidelines.” This quote highlights the urgency of further research & preparation when treating insomnia. Two questions I have are why don’t people enter this line of the health field? Why do doctors still prescribe antidepressants & antihistamines despite them having bad side effects?

I would need to look up information about the two drugs typically prescribed and see their side effects & benefits. As well as the types of insomnia and the main types.  I would ask the author if they are discussing insomnia overall or one of five types of insomnia. This document informed me on the prescription that’s given & the  better performing treatment. I also learned the treatment given to patients with insomnia isn’t as effective. This document answered my research question in an informative manner. I liked the author’s style of writing as they inform the reader about insomnia through facts & statistics & elaborates on an effective solution to treating insomnia. The choice of genre offers reliable & proper credibility, influencing the reader to have a developing interest in insomnia.

“The authors observe that despite the widespread use of over-the-counter and prescription drug treatment, long-term use of such drugs is not well studied and there is little evidence of which drugs work best and for whom.” Overall this quote stood out to me because it underlines the critical issue of a condition that may accumulate into a medical condition being misunderstood.

1. Genesis

I learned about sleep which is something we do everyday ! What surprised me ? Is the information of insomnia and how it has even ended people’s lives and the other illnesses that can effect your emotions . One thing I would want more clarity would be percentages of how many people cope with this yearly

2. Zhao

I can’t fall asleep sometimes either. When I get anxiety and stress, I can’t sleep. But I don’t know that Insomnia will develop to really serious and need medicine to treat. I never take it seriously but from now on, I think I need to care about my sleep state.