From this quote, I think James Baldwin is saying that there is more to history and the world than the things we only know about. When we are born we are automatically put into a system that follows a certain set of rules, expectations, and guidelines that we have to follow. It is an on going cycle that has no means to an end unless we do something about it. As for when James Baldwin says “the world is larger” I anticipate that he means there is more to the surroundings we are familiar with. Also that we are living in a world that brainwashes us into thinking of an ideal concept of what the world is. When really the world is harder than we think. It is more terrible and beautifully daring at the same time. It has the good, the bad and the ugly. Its really all just unique and waiting to be discovered by those who are different in way that stands out from social norms. James Baldwin goes on to saying that “I would teach him that he doesn’t have to be bound by the expediencies of any given administration, any given policy, any given morality; that he has the right and necessity to examine everything.” In my opinion, I think we have the necessity to examine what we are curious about; anything that sparks a question of concern. When it comes to studying the history that is given to us in textbooks provided by administrators,  I pay attention but not as much as I would if I was to know why people treat a certain race the way they do, why there isn’t information on the first black lady to travel to every country in the world, or why our history isn’t up to date as it should be with every race and nationality. Questions like these fuel curiosity  but then my curiosity also tends to stop every once in a while because I get caught up in the system we live in today.