The Journalist at Work

Post: 1) Discuss what you found most interesting about one of these articles. 2) In response to the Interview essay (“Did I Really Just Buy Ebony”), mention a writing strategy used by the author that you think will be helpful for a student journalist. Read your classmates’ responses prior to posting, so you contribute a new point.   Due Date (Monday, Sept. 13): Next Week is Labor Day Weekend and most classes are cancelled for the week, so I will give you two weeks to complete this first assignment.

1) One of the articles that I found interesting was ” Can Afghanistan’s leading Broadcaster survive the Taliban?” In the article it talked about journalist and cameraman in Afghanistan were attacked, for example in the article it quoted that “Ziar Khan Yaad, a Tolo journalist, and a cameraman were beaten by five Taliban at gunpoint while out reporting on Wednesday.” It also said Taliban fighter also hunted down another journalist, Deutsche Welle  the German broadcaster, who had already left the country. The Taliban also have barred at least two female journalists from their jobs at the public broadcaster Radio Television Afghanistan. Now everyone in Afghanistan who are journalist including the women are terrify at this situation and they began to flee the country.  That also include  many other Afghan social media influencer have deactivate their twitter and Facebook account, which captures my attention.

2)  One of the writing strategy I have noticed that was used by the author would definitely be the interview line strategy. The author highlight bold between Ebony and Eden’s conversation. Ebony was asking question and Eden is answering the question. I think it’s helpful for the student journalist , and of course in order to become a journalist  you have to narrow down where you want to start and who do you want to write about. So the interview writing strategy is really helpful when it comes to becoming a journalist, because you’re also picking up information from the person you are interviewing.  That also include pictures of Eden Bridgeman Sklenar, which makes the news and article more interesting. The author of this article also include a huge capitalization in the beginning and quoting Eden Bridgeman’s line as a writing strategy.

1. Mark Noonan

Excellent and thorough response to all three pieces, Rachel.