Maureen Neuringer | COMD 1162 - Section D030

01 Discussion

Each week you will need to respond to two questions posted. Your response should be a minimum of 150 words for both questions. You should also include at least one response to your fellow students. The responses are a requirement for participation part of your grade.

Question 01 –

You need to create a logo that will be used in various applications for a client. What application Illustrator or Photoshop would you choose?

Question 02 –

Why would you make that choice?

1. Gregory Marc

Question 01 –

In the scenario of me needing to create a logo for a client, I would choose Illustrator over photoshop. 

Question 02 –

I would choose Illustrator over photoshop, due to the fact that photoshop doesn’t have transparency like Illustrator does. In fact, it’s supported by far more programs than Photoshop. Additionally, Photoshop isn’t compatible with programs, notorious as word and other various programs while Illustrator has the option of accessing InDesign and later versions of QuarkXPress. Further more, if the logo I’m making is being used throughout various applications, that would mean it’s going to need as much flexibility as possible, including the image actually getting printed out. And knowing that Photoshops pixels begin to get choppy if the resolution is low, it makes more sense to go with Illustrator. Simply put, a vector application like Illustrator is more ideal than a raster application like Photoshop for this task. 

2. Brenda Velasco

If I needed to create a logo that will be used in various applications for a client I would use adobe illustrator. Vector graphics is a better format to create logos since it has the ability to enlarge without losing the images resolution and its quality. This is preferable if I wanted to put a logo anywhere from a business card to a billboard. When it comes to designing the logo I have more tools to choose from than an illustrator whether that’s to curve the image, add color to it, add more lines etc. Illustrator won’t limit myself or the client on the creativity perspective as it opens us up to more ideas. When I finish the logo and wish to send it to my client, illustrator will make it easier to compress along with not taking up too much storage. Regardless of the image size, the file format should stay the same and the client can access it easier. Through the file extension PDF the client can access it without even needing Adobe or a Macintosh.

3. Mirline Jean

If I was to create a logo that will be used in various applications for a client, I would use Adobe Illustrator instead of Photoshop. In Illustrator, you have creative control to do anything you want from scratch in this application to make a variety of artwork. There are endless features in Illustrator to be artistic. It has vector graphics so if the client decides to enlarge the logo, the quality wouldn’t change. The logo will look smooth, clean and legible for everyone to see. Photoshop on the other hand is mostly used to edit photos. IUnlike Illustrator, if the client tried to enlarge the logo from photoshop, the quality will look horrible and very pixelated. If the client wants any changes to the design you made, you can easily go back and make the change without it disturbing the quality. Photoshop serves its own purpose therefore using Illustrator would be a better decision in this scenario.

4. Erika Juarez

Question 01 –

If I had to create a logo I would go ahead and use Illustrator since you can be more versatile with it. Since I would be using Illustrator I don’t have to worry about the scaling turning the image fuzzy. You can easily make different formats like business cards, posters, banners, or even merch like pins, keychains, and more. I think Illustrator also works best for experimenting with color gradients, text, and no rectangular shape restriction. It would just be a shame to not plan ahead and then have your images look different then you would have imagined. Both may have similar tools but depending on the task you need to know what will give you the desired look you need. 

Question 02 –

Why would you make that choice?

I’m also more used to Illustrator so it makes the decision easy for me. I know more of the tools that can be used to create a new logo design.I know that photoshop is mainly used to alter an already existing image. Since my goal is to create a logo I’m aware that I need to be able to use a program that has drawing tools handy. Something that can keep up with the constant changes that come about when designing a logo. So recoloring and resizing won’t be an issue on illustrator as it would on photoshop. I still would like to learn more about photoshop since I’m not sure what I can accomplish in the program. 

5. Terence Johnson

I would use Adobe Illustrator for the logo design. Adobe Illustrator has more tools centered around vector art which is preferable for Logo work. Vector Lines are clean and keep their resolution when zoomed in and out making it a perfect choice for professional mockups. Photoshop is best used for photo retouching and editing and only has raster brushes. Raster lines when zoomed in are pixelated and rough compared to vector. Illustrator also has many shape-based tools making logo design easier. The client would also be able to scale the icon to whatever size they want. This makes it easier for marketing purposes because you can put the logo on a business card or a Billboard. While Photoshop is an optimal tool in today’s design world, it would best be used for initial drafts and concept work.

• Erika Juarez

I agree with your choice to choose illustrator to make logos. It’s does make things easier to print the image in different sizes.

6. Kelvy Guichardo

when choosing a application to use i would choose Illustrator because it’s a vector-based software, which means it creates designs using mathematical equations to define shapes. This allows for scalability without loss of quality. Logos need to be resizable for various applications from small business cards to large banners because Illustrator excels at this. photoshop doesn’t excel in this because you would see pixels

7. Kelvy Guichardo

when choosing a application to use i would choose Illustrator because it’s a vector-based software, which means it creates designs using mathematical equations to define shapes. This allows for scalability without loss of quality. Logos need to be resizable for various applications from small business cards to large banners because Illustrator excels at this. photo shop doesn’t excel in this because you would see pixels

8. Erick

I would use Adobe Illustrator to create a logo the client could use in various applications. Since Illustrator is a vector-based program, it allows the logo to be scalable without diminishing the quality. In other words, regardless of the size needed, the logo resolution should look clear with a good printer. In addition, Illustrator has multiple tools allowing for an easier time creating logos. On the other hand, Adobe Photoshop is a raster-based program more suited to editing images and making paintings. Being raster-based and having a fixed resolution means that it can’t be enlarged without losing image quality or looking more pixelated. 

• Zeta

Yes I too agree that Adobe Illustrator is the preferred program for logo creation and how Adobe Photoshop is better for image editing.

9. ray

To create a logo for a client I would personally chose a vector approach during my process by using illustrator due to its wider variety in composing things from scratch; allowing you to customize more complex and demanding projects to your hearts content. Another key factor is the advantages of type in illustrator, I can illustrate while even utilizing type in my own image, for example being able to essentially use type by manipulating it through tools provided to you in the illustrator program such as 3d factors and warping. I would refrain from photoshop seeing that this is also a marketing effort it would be in my best interest to produce an easily scalable image and producing that in a raster program can give it this blurry/pixelated effect which can be an issue in future endeavors such as scaling up and down the image. The quality matters and that’s why I personally wouldn’t use photoshop to create the logo maybe edit things within the logo but not have it as the foundation. While both possibly can be suited for the job i would gravitate towards vector graphics.

• Terence Johnson

I agree I would also use Vector as my main approach to logo design. I also did not know about Illustrators 3D capabilities.

10. Habib Bodunrin

Question 01 –l

1. If I were to create logos for a client I would use illustrator for the simple fact that it is easier to make images in illustrator compared to photoshop. Illustrator is also good at changing the resolution of an image without getting rid of the quality. Plus I can export into many files like jpg, png, pdf, so if  a client wants it as pdf they will get it as pdf, same thing for jpg. Adding on to the fact that there is so much you can do in illustrator from changing the scale, adding colors,drawing lines, using brush tools. It is good to have variety so you can be very flexible to a client, instead of just me having a few choices to make and then I can’t make what the client wants. That is very helpful to me  because the client will always go back to me since I can do a lot with the illustrator app, especially having clear images when you change their size when ex[ported into another type of file.

Question 02 –

Why would you make that choice?

2. I also think it is good to use illustrator simply because it can help build my skills in terms of designing illustrations and that can be used for two things. First one is my resume, since I can show some logos for a big business like Cartoon network or Nickelodeon or even small indie companies to show that I’m good at making logos that satisfy the client’s needs. In turn it lets the client show my experience that I have in designing logos, and that I can do it in a timely fashion, and I think illustrator is a very helpful tool to get the job done. Which brings me to the second point. I think I would use illustrator first because when I want to make a portfolio it is easier to export a file or change its resolution without making it unclear. I can also make my own portfolio full of logos, and it will show to the client that the person actually cares about the work quality, gets the job done on time and makes consistent logos.

11. Sandra Humala

For the creation of a logo for a client, I would go with the application that would allow my images to be seen as crisp and sharp when miniaturized as well as when enlarged. My choice would be illustrator because in addition of the file formats which would ensure that my logo remains that way when resized, illustrator is more geared towards vector work, and has various tools that would allow one to create logos as well as images, and although Photoshop also has the same tools and logos can be made, Photoshop is raster based, and images/logos created with the application can lead to pixelation when resizing. Photoshop as a whole better suited for editing images and digital painting, whereas Illustrator utilizes vectors to create an image.

12. PabloCordova

To create a Logo for a client I would use Adobe Illustrator since the logo would be used for many things, and if I were to use photoshop the logo would be pixelated if I wanted to change the size of the logo, and changing the size of the logo in Illustrator would not be affected due to Illustrator using Vector graphics instead of Raster graphics. Second reason I would choose Illustrator instead of photoshop is because since I would have to create a design, Illustrator is mainly used for creating designs, while photoshop is mainly used to edit an image.

• Habib Bodunrin

Yeah I agree, I would also use illustrators because it has so much versatility, so you’re able to make different kinds logos needed for different clients.

13. Luzdelalba Terrero

To create a logo for a client I would decide on Adobe Illustrator because I’m very familiar with the program. In 11th grade I took a graphic design class and managed to create newspaper covers, a fatberg ad, and even a self portrait. Not only am I familiar with the program, but it’s also very convenient when it comes to the layers feature. It’s easy to organize your work, and select specific things in your design. I also love the direct selection and blob brush tool. I am not sure if photoshop offers these tools, but I am open and willing to try the program out as well. I want to make sure I give my client my best work, for a great price of course, and I feel that illustrator would allow me to do this.

• Maureen Neuringer

Don’t forget the value of reducing and enlarging in Illustrator without loosing sharpness.

14. charlesizzo

I would use Illustrator because creating a logo that would need to be enlarged and scaled differently wouldnt look right if it was done in photoshop because when you enlarge it the pixels that make up the image are more visible to the eye.

• Erick

I agree photoshop is a raster-based program resulting in the loss of quality and the pixelated look when enlarged.

15. Zeta

Question 1: If I needed to create a logo that will be used in various applications for a client, I would choose Illustrator.

Question 2: I would choose Illustrator because Illustrator utilizes vectors whereas Photoshop is better for editing images. Using a vector based program for creating a logo that will be used in various places allows flexible use for the logos because a vector logo can be resized without ruining the image quality of the logo.

• Sandra Humala

Response: Can you explain more about the concept of scalability in design, and why it is an important factor for logos?

• Maureen Neuringer

It you try to enlarge a piece of artwork in Illustrator (vector) all the lines remain sharp. See picture in Class 01 notes. If you try to enlarge something in Photoshop (raster) the pixels become blurry. I logo that you have created will be enlarged and reduced to fit letterhead, envelopes and even posters, so it needs to remain sharp. Does that help?