A City Tech OpenLab Project Site for Fellows

Reflection for Session 1

It was great talking with and listening to everyone today!

To reflect on today’s session, what’s something you learned/heard/saw today that you’ll take with you into your work for building a model course and course hub?

1. Marie-Cecile Chalbot

Today I watch both videos about model course and course hub before coming to the zoom meeting and I understood the difference between the 2 formats. I think that course hub can be very useful to post resources that could be of interest for students.
    In my online classes, I used discussions and many students refer to content they have seen on study.com for example, which are not free of charge. The course hub could refer them to useful free resources online.

• Jonas Reitz

Hi Marie – thanks for being first-to-post! Your comment about content on study.com really resonates with me – I find my students searching on their own and coming up with internet resources from such a wide variety of sources, some free and some not, and some much higher quality than others. One of the ways we’re using course hubs in math is to collect quality resources for students to save them the effort, uncertainty, and sometimes cost of searching.

• Jody R. Rosen

Good point, Marie, about online resources that aren’t free–we have the opportunity with the model courses and course hubs to share free, high-quality resources. Like Jonas commented, these model courses or course hubs can offer resources that faculty members have reviewed, curated, and endorsed. It would also be great to invite students to share what resources they use both to create a forum to hear about where students are, but also to make it shared knowledge and not something they hide or think is cheating.

2. Genevieve

Hello, A nice start. Nice to meet everyone. Lots to think about.
    I need to reorganize my thoughts around what a course hub could look like for the course I am working on. I’m grateful to have the guidance on next steps. It’s also helpful to hear how others are approaching similar goals. Looking forward to our next session on March 7th.

• Jody R. Rosen

Genevieve, you have a lot to think about because you talked about the portfolio course as serving 5 different groups of students, so the hub could just be to serve as resources for the different groups. But you also said that you’re thinking of the other courses that might use similar resources–so will they clone the hub or share the same hub? Happy to help you think that through!

3. Donna Rankin

I think that incorporating a course hub into our plan will be an excellent idea. Biology I lays the foundation for a biology education, and our students seem to have difficulty retaining some of these basics as they move through the curriculum. It will be great to have a resource to direct them to instead of trying to re-teach the material or glossing over deficits. I would definitely use a hub as a form of pre-class reading for my students.

• Jonas Reitz

I think is one of areas where (public, open) course hubs have so much potential as long-term resources for our students. I’m interested to see how they can become part of the department culture, across courses!

• Jody R. Rosen

And to expand on Jonas’s point, like math resources, BIO 1101 resources would probably be useful beyond the department. I’m sure there are other courses, perhaps in Health Sciences and related fields, that use BIO 1101 as a foundation, and those students can come back to the hub you create for a refresher or to fill in gaps in their bio-understanding.