So, where do you network?
Well, you begin with the COMD Facebook Page and LinkedIn but then there are many professional organizations and networking groups in our field.
The list below is designed to get you started. The networking will likely be virtual still this Fall but learning to network virtually will help you develop needed skills for zoom interviews, etc.
Here is a list of some organizations that offer event and networking opportunities. Networking is the number one way professionals land jobs. You will need to network throughout your career. Visit the site of the association that most interests you and start attending their events. Many hold lectures and exhibits that are free; some have a nominal fee. Some have job boards that are available for members only BUT you can often still see the type of listings they have BEFORE you join and this allows you to make a choice as to whether to pay the annual membership fee for students. Many of these fees are not that high, relative to the cost of other consumer goods and it represents an important investment in your career. Of course, Linkedin and the Communication Design Facebook page are also vehicles for networking but you should join at least one or two of the organizations below, based on whichever ones suits your interests and career goals.
1. Freelancers Hub https://www.freelancersunion.org/get-involved/freelancers-hub/
2. Advertising Club Young Guns at at http://adcyoungguns.org/
3. Advertising Production Club at http://www.apc-nyc.org/
4. Society of Illustrators at http://www.societyillustrators.org/
5. AIGA at http://www.aiga.org/ and http://www.aiga.org/guide-careerguide/
6. 4 As at http://www.aaaa.org/about/Pages/default.aspx
7. Siggraph at http://www.siggraph.org/
8. Professional Photographers of America at http://www.ppa.com/
9. American Society of Media Photographers at http://asmp.org/
10. American Photography Association at http://www.americanphotographyassociation.org/
11. American Photographic Artists at http://www.apanational.com/
12. Graphic Artists Guild at https://www.graphicartistsguild.org/
13. International Council of Communication Design at http://www.icograda.org/
14. PaperSpecs at http://www.paperspecs.com
15. Creativity Online at http://creativity-online.com/
16. Flipboard at https://about.flipboard.com/
17. Evernote at https://evernote.com/upgrade/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAs6GjBRCy2My09an6uNIBEiQANfY4zF4tOENa-VvTKMZ7sqZ7wnP4j97oVg0YhIxeFUdDtWQaAslW8P8HAQ
18. ASIFA- East: http://www.asifaeast.com/
19.212 NYC: https://212nyc.org/
This is an advertising professional networking group
20. MPA : The Association of Magazine Publishers of America
21.This is a meetup group dedicated to the art of figure drawing and for those of you interested in illustration, definitely work checking out as it is a lively group with quite a full calendar. http://www.meetup.com/FigureSketching-NYC/
22. This is an interesting group that offers job connections for “talented creatives”–membership is free and entirely portfolio drive. You give them your contact information and send them your portfolio and they either accept you as a member …. or not. But the site is worth looking at just for the blog and other information. http://workingnotworking.com/
23. Draw New York is yet another Group Devoted to illustration around town. See their webiste at https://www.meetup.com/drawingnewyork/
24. Interactive Advertising Bureau at http://www.iab.net