Technical Difficulties

Image by Mohamed Hassan from Pixabay

I’m coming to the end of my internship at a nonprofit organization, and it’s been a learning process for me and my team. We recently finished uploading 200 Alaskan non-profits onto the Nimble platform manually, and now we’re moving on to uploading the SVG logos to the CMPP (Cause Marketing Powered Publishing) platform.

My supervisor gave us access to the CMPP, but we ran into some technical difficulties when uploading the logos. We couldn’t tell if the logos were successfully uploaded or not, and it was frustrating, to say the least. However, I was able to communicate the issue to my supervisor, and they worked with the website coder to fix the problem.

Through this experience, I learned that technical difficulties are bound to arise, and it’s important to handle them quickly and effectively to move forward. It’s also important to communicate and collaborate with others to find solutions and resolve any issues. Overall, I’m grateful for this internship experience, and I’m looking forward to continuing to learn and grow as I move on to the next phase of my career.