Ethics in Graphic Design: Part 2

2a. The following readings changed my aspect of crediting any copywriter’s work if it needs to be attributed to credit the designer and their work. When I was starting off in school designing, I was not aware of ethics and did not know I have to credit the copy-free written images if it says we need to give “attribution.” This is one key indicator that you need to state and give credit to the company/website. The AIGA Design and Business Ethics have proper guidelines where copywriting are appropriate, how to register your work for copywriter purposes and how to state the copywriter if it’s a couple of work. I also learned why creative work is registered, as stated “registration is necessary for the designer to be entitled to the statutory damages and attorney’s fees discussed earlier with respect
to infringement.” Being able to Copywrite work for the sake of the company if anybody tries to use their work without copywrite that has been registered, they can sue. Learning how to label and properly give copywrites can be a great way to become a successful designer allowing you to follow ethics, and treat everyone fairly.

2b. In the New York Time’s article called, ” Shepard Fairey Is Fined and Sentenced to Probation in ‘Hope’ Poster Case” By Randy Kenndy summarizes how Shepard Fairey was fined and sentenced to probation due to not crediting Associated Press of Barack Obama’s who tried to hide the evidence. Now this case goes against the Digital Millenial Copywrite. As a result, getting a lawsuit filed against Mr. Fairley was right due to infringement of the work of another person. Now this can affect a designer and their work due to distrust and not knowing the code of conduct counteracts for consequences and fines.  I believe the actions were against this law under the protection for the AP it was addressed properly and fined under the law which is stated.

Citation:
1. AIGA Design and Business Ethics

2. Shepard Fairey Is Fined and Sentenced to Probation in ‘Hope’ Poster Case