Reading Response F. Douglass- Alex Zhagui

1. After the young Douglass loses his mistress as his teacher, what strategies does he practice to continue learning to read?  Who does he turn to for help?  How does he persuade them to help him? 

After Douglass loses his teacher he thought of a plan that could make him learn how to read and he finally did. The plan he had was to be a friend of the little white kids he met in the street and make them a type of teacher for him. Douglass used to carry bread and he gave it to the white poor kids and in return the kids gave him knowledge as he said in his reading “learning how to write.”  He basically persuades them by giving bread to them. 

Part 2: Paragraph two “Nothing
seemed
to
make
her
more
angry
than
to
see
me
 with
a
newspaper.
She
seemed
 to
 think
 that
here
lay
 the
danger.
 I
have
had
her
rush
at
 me
with
a
 face
made
all
up
of
 fury,
and
snatch
 from
me
a
newspaper,
in
a
manner
 that
 fully
 revealed
 her
 apprehension.” This quote is a perfect example of how his mistress was mad because she didn’t want Douglass to keep learning because he would know about slavery and how thats bad. She couldn’t see Douglass reading because she was scared and began to act more aggressive than her husband .

1 thought on “Reading Response F. Douglass- Alex Zhagui”

1. Good answer for strategies FD used to keep learning.

In Part TWO — you need to use the sentences, the words in the quote and explain why these words are significant. For example, explain why Douglass reading a newspaper makes her angry, what does the word “danger” signify and mean?, what is significant about “her face made all up of FURY”

You must explain FD’s words and why these words are significant and what they mean/ YOU MUST ANAYLYZE THE WORDS IN YOUR CHOSEN QUOTE!