RAB Proposal Paragraph — Lisa

My research question is:Ā  How has the CV pandemic exacerbated xenophobia focusing especially on Anti-Asian hostility?Ā  This topic interests me because I am Chinese American.Ā  When the pandemic began in NYC in March, I witnessed New Yorkers treat Asians as if they were dangerous infectious people.Ā  President Trump is not helping the situation.Ā  He continues to refer to the virus as the ā€œChinese virusā€ or the ā€œKing Fu Fluā€ or the “Chinese Plague” spreading divisive sentiment and encouraging prejudice and racism. Ā I know that the virus was first detected in Wuhan China, but the truth is that the virus effects all people across all racial, income, and national divides.Ā  I read news reports that Asian Americans are being targeted and even violently attacked.Ā  I want to find out how Asian Americans are defending themselves against these hurtful verbal and physical attacks. Ā I want to find out how the Asian community ā€“ all Asian Americans not just Chinese in America — is banding together to combat the prejudice.Ā  Ā Also because I am a teacher and a parent, I want to know how Asian American youths are experiencing this prejudice.Ā  Also I might research how the pandemic has effected Asian and Chinese businesses.

MLA Citations for 2 Sources that I plan to use (in alphabetical order):

Tavernise, Sabrina, and Richard A. Oppel.Ā  ā€œSpit On, Yelled At, Attacked:Ā  Chinese-Americans Fear for Their Safety.ā€ The New York Times 23 Mar 2020. The New York Times. Web. 29 Mar 2020.Ā  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/us/chinese-coronavirus-racist-attacks.html

Yang, Andrew. ā€œWe Are Not the Virus But We Can Be Part of the Cure.ā€ 1 Apr 2020 The Washington Post. The Washington Post. Web. 2 Apr 2020.Ā  www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/01/andrew-yang-coronavirus-discrimination/

Here are 2 more sources:

CV Infected My High School (NYT op-doc video)