Between Two Worlds–Sangay

I went to boarding schools from age10 to18. I never had to deal with identity issues in school because I was admitted to a Tibetan boarding school where there were thousands of Tibetan students along with few Indian students (they were proficient in Tibetan language). It is a pleasure to say that we were taught very clearly about our ancestors, Tibetan cultures and traditions when we were young. As you know, the Indian government has established Tibetan schools all across the country that helps Tibetan students to preserve their culture.

After I graduated, I was unprepared for the challenges I had to face regarding my identity and my physical look. 

Although I was born in India, people would ask me, “Where are you from or you are not Indian?,”  because my face does not look Indian. Most Indian people do not have knowledge about the Tibetan being refugees there. In many instances, shops and taxis would charge me extra because they assumed I was a tourist. Somehow, I’ve never fitted in there. 

Nevertheless, when I moved to the United States 6years ago, I was still struggling with identity issues. People call me Chinese, Vietnamese, korean. But when I found people from different backgrounds, coming from different parts of the world here, I realized I am fortunate to live in a city of diversity and it’s not just uncommon in here to be different.

4 thoughts on “Between Two Worlds–Sangay”

1. Wow, I can honestly relate to this 100%. it’s hard having to go back and forth on one world and losing track of what really is your identity.

2. Sangay — I find your international multi-ethnic background so interesting! But you need to tell this like a STORY. Create a few scenes to bring the reader to the place where this happens. SHOW me the two different worlds you live in.

I went to boarding schools [WHERE? DID YOU GROW up in India and attend Tibetan Boarding School – CSD — give the concrete specific details!!!] from age10 to18. I never had to deal with identity issues in school because I was admitted to a Tibetan boarding school where there were thousands of Tibetan students along with few Indian students (they were proficient in Tibetan language). It is a pleasure to say that we were taught very clearly about our ancestors, Tibetan cultures and traditions when we were young. {SHOW me a scene from your school – sounds like you had a happy school years – if that is true – give me a scene with you happy and feeling like you fit in with your classmates and feeling like you belong} As you know [actually few Americans know about India / Tibet history –so you need to give some details], the Indian government has established Tibetan schools all across the country that helps Tibetan students to preserve their culture.
    Although I was born in India, people would ask me, “Where are you from or you are not Indian?,” because my face does not look Indian. [Can you CREATE A SCENE here of a typical conversation when someone asks you this? a scene of you facing judgement based on your appearance? Is this in America? Or Tibet? Needs some clear details of WHERE this typical interchange happens.] Most Indian people do not have knowledge about the Tibetan being refugees there. In many instances, shops and taxis would charge me extra because they assumed I was a tourist. Somehow, I’ve never fitted in there {GOOD detail – now create a scene of you in taxi or shop. SHOW me HOW people in India or USA – be more clear where are you? Country, place taxi or store?
    Nevertheless, when I moved to the United States 6years ago, I was still struggling with identity issues. People call me Chinese, Vietnamese, korean. But when I found people from different backgrounds, coming from different parts of the world here, I realized I am fortunate to live in a city of diversity and it’s not just uncommon in here to be different [nice ending thought].

NOW CAN you show what you have learned and how this shapes who you are today? Have you resolved this feeling of being in TWO different worlds now and do you feel comfortable in USA? How does this effect you in school in USA?