Mentor Text Analysis — Migdalia Rivera

I noticed in “We Cannot Wait to End Racism” by Eddie Glaude the first paragraph as a hook he mentions George Floyd and Breonna Taylor .George Floyd was killed by a Minneapolis police man named Chauvin over a counterfeit 20 dollar bill. Eddie Glaude the author mentions over 100,000 people have been dead by coronavirus, 40 million people have been unemployed and African Americans have been hit the hardest. He mentions statistics while backing this information and links his outside resources like the articles. The author gives his perspective of when the video first surfaced of George Floyd being murdered by the police. He says ‘I watched the Floyd video and completely lost it. The stress of the times combined with the cruelty of the act and Floyd’s desperate plea broke me. I found myself, which I rarely do, burying my head into my hands. Weeping’, the narrator was seeing pictures, videos and the news of the protest and riots in real time. I noticed in the one visual he chose it shows a protester with a face covering Xing out Chauvin face with a purple spray paint on a poster in the middle of street where three black women were looking at it. This article is about 4 pages long , written on august 10 , 2020.Glaudes ends the text by trying to come up with a solution that some with acceptance. We cannot stop racism and we can’t wait for the change to happen. I think the main message of this article is that African Americans experience a lot of trauma and the coronavirus pandemic has exacerbated the problems. In this project I will emulate ‘how has the coronavirus affected students’ mental health’ and will try to have a direct audience. I’ll avoid mentioning too many things from my last project to give my audience a clear understanding.

2 thoughts on “Mentor Text Analysis — Migdalia Rivera”

1. Not sure what you mean here: I’ll avoid mentioning too many things from my last project to give my audience a clear understanding.

Think about your closing, your concluding paragraph: What will you leave your reader with? A message? A call to action? A solution?

Please see the Unit 3 Assignment on HOW to WRite an Op-ed.

Overall good analysis!