Mentor Text Analysis- Julian Georgi

A Viral Poem for a Virus Time by Kitty O’Meara

I noticed in A Viral Poem for a Virus Time by Kitty O’Meara tells a story about people in the pandemic. The poem starts off in light hearted mood but then changes by the 4th stanza to then go back to how it was originally. Kitty doesn’t use any research in her poem instead she mentions a before and after effect in the poem. The before is quarantine and the after is the process of healing from isolation in our lives. She incorporates her message clearly from the jump with both the title of the poem and the first stanza “And the people stayed home.” Visually you can tell it’s a poem due to the many stanzas present but besides that there is no pictures or color it’s all black and white. The poem itself is very short it only has 7 stanzas. I personally believe that the poem is targeted to people who went through the pandemic aka the world. The end of the poem comes full circle in the beginning it’s almost grim but ends off on a peaceful note. I think the message is how we can heal from a tough time, the entire world got hit hard by this virus so now we need time to process and heal. I’ll try to emulate human emotion in this project because with human emotion you can get genuine results when trying to connect with your audience. I do want to avoid my piece being informational but instead to pull in my audience in a creative way that’s approachable.

3 thoughts on “Mentor Text Analysis- Julian Georgi”

1. Julian: Are you doing a visual poem for Unit 3? That is not what you said in your Proposal???

How will you do this?

Did you change your proposal? To do a visual poem? I thougth you said Op-Ed.

PRof. Wu
    I SEE YOUR PROPOSAL FOR GENRE PROJECT which was HW 1 is missing, am i right? That is why I am confused?

2. Julian:

If you plan to make a visual poem, for this mentor text analysis, you need to scroll down after O’Meara reads her poem and the printed poem — scroll down to the visual poem. There is a zoom screen showing her readers/fans and then a short video that one of her fans created as a visual poem of O’Meara’s poem. THAT IS WHAT IS A VISUAL POEM.

THen you should also look at the Genre Resources Page where I have given a student example of a VIsual Poem by my student Makayla.

Prof. Wu