Resarch journal blog post

When I used the library database from City Tech, it was easier to narrow down my results to specifications once I found the articles, unlike Google Scholar where this has to be done in the beginning of the search. Initially when I began my search, the “smart text searching” didn’t aid in my results. It lead me to a blank page. In a similar way, although Google Scholar doesn’t have any boxes to type in additional search phrases, I did have to use advanced search techniques like truncation and nested searching to find specific articles related to my research. When I typed in the acronym for the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), the results were not very helpful in my research. I had to write out the entire name. The same issue came up when I was using Google Scholar; the information it displayed to me when I typed in the acronym gave me results of soap operas. When I typed in the full name of the bill it gave me what I was looking for.

-Ricardo Martinez

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Resarch journal blog post

1. Jessica says:

I also found that the library database to be a more useful format then Google Scholar or other online databases. I had similar issues when I first started using the library database. It is very sensitive the each individual word that is typed. The database is not as interactive as Google, it does not understand natural language and has no ability to predict what you are looking for or give suggestions for further articles that you may find useful. Putting these issues aside the library’s database has excellent articles that, in my opinion, were more relevant to my topic. The trick to gaining access to this information was finding the correct keyword combination to enter into the search parameters.

Jessica Bilikiewicz

2. Bryan Tong says:

I also have to agree that using library databases are more helpful towards finding specific types of information sources compared to Google Scholar. As same with many others, the only problems first was that it was sensitive to each individual word that is put such as “and” and “or”. Also to mention, that most of the articles should be free as long you have a CUNY account, provided in a PDF file, and have examples of different citations for it in the library databases. For Google Scholar, some the articles you can find need to be paid with subscription and sometimes shows the wrong topic.