BRIC Brooklyn

The map that I found most interesting during the class visit to BRIC, was the map of Luis from Puerto Rico kitchen. It was interesting because I have never seen a map that laid out the life of an individual, the map give great details of Luis’s life. It gave a description of him, his thoughts were also included ; it also give details of the specific area where he lived, whom he live with, when he moved there, the history of his neighborhood and it accounted for every item that was in his kitchen. The map told a story, and thats what made it interesting to me.
The exhibit definitely changed my perception of maps; I have never thought of using a map to represent anything else other that getting directions to a specific place or maybe finding a treasure.
Since I am aware that maps can tell a story. I would love to map out my work space and tell my story; I think it will be very interesting for my friends and followers to see my life as a jewelry stylist and designer just by reading a map.

1 thought on “BRIC Brooklyn

1. Alessandra

Wow, I didn’t come across that one. From the description you gave, that seems to have been a loss for me. As I was reading, it reminded me of when my dad shows me pictures that were printed in black and white from when he was growing up. Just by visualizing them, I could make sense of what it was like to grow up in his time. Every picture has a thousand words, and maps are no less than a picture. In fact, I think that giving someone a picture of something allows them to express their imagination more-so than if the information was giving to them with no room to use creativity. Maps do provide life stories and I didn’t actually believe it until we went to the BRIC museum.