Squid Ink Pasta

Charlie Palmer at The Knick

6 Times Square

New York, NY 10036

212-204-4983

I went out to dinner with my partner to Charlie Palmer Restaurant located at the Knickerbocker Hotel. Upon entry of the restaurant we were greeted by the GM and escorted to our seats, by a lovely host. The host was ready to take our orders, but I could not decide because everything sounded so appetizing. I asked for her recommendation and she suggested I try their limited special Squid Ink pasta with shrimp and mussels in a light tomato & wine sauce. Because of the hostess’s enthusiasm and description of the menu, I could not resist and proceeded with the order. As we dined on appetizers, the chef came out to greet us and confirmed the menu.

When the food was served, I thought the color was dramatically black and unique. The display was very appealing and well adorned with garnishment. As I began to eat, the texture was in between soft and slightly chewy, but did not require me spending a lot of time chewing. There was a rich burst and briny flavor with underlying hints of the sea. Squid ink pasta pairs exceptionally well with most seafoods and is a dish most commonly found in the Italian region of Sicily. The ink comes from cephalopods such as octopus, squid and cuttlefish and is used to make a dramatic-looking sauce, rice, pasta and bread dishes. It adds a black sheen to foods and deep flavor. It is contains a wide range of nutrients, antioxidants, proteins, minerals and amino acids.

Overall, I had a great experience with squid ink pasta and it is a dish I will have again and I recommend everyone to try if they haven’t. 

1 thought on “Squid Ink Pasta