Nopal and Adobado Tacos

I tried a cactus(nopal) taco and an adobado (marinated pulled pork) taco on corn tortillas from a place called Los Tacos located in the Chelsea market. I never had cactus before and I do not remember having adobado which is a Mexican-style marinade that is usually made out of red chile. I also helped myself to a couple of wedges of lime, pico de gallo and two hot sauces. One of the sauces were a little bitter spicy but the other one was sweet but also spicy. I am not sure what were in the salsas but the green one (sweeter one) reminded me of pepperoncini peppers. The pork taco was accompanied with strips of pineapple which helped cut through the greasiness of the taco. This taco was not new t me so there was no surprise.

I went to try cactus out of curiosity. I am not sure how to feel about the cactus taco nor do i know how to explain. However, it resembles aloe vera as well as okra. The appearance reminds me of aloe vera and the slimy texture reminded me of okra. The taste is bland and is barely noticeable due to the strong flavors of the guacamole and cilantro. As I bit into the cactus, it had a weird crunch to it. The crunch was sort of like biting onto an undercooked starch such as a potato or a carrot. A squeeze of lime on both tacos made all the difference in the world. I believe it is very necessary to add a generous amount of lime as it brings out the flavors of the ingredients and freshness.

The top part of the picture is the adobado taco and the bottom is the nopal taco topped with guacamole.

1 thought on “Nopal and Adobado Tacos