Vegan Avocado Gelato with Nocciola

I kept hearing all this buzz about vegan avocado ice cream and how great it was. Although I am not vegan, I wanted to try it out to see if I shared the same sentiments as everyone else. Well, ironically I had the opportunity to do just that. During a tour of Little Italy and Chinatown, I came across a gelateria called Polosud which offers coffee, pastries and gelato. It was not a listed stop on the tour but I popped in really quickly to view the options. Once the tour ended, I returned to Polosud to buy the dessert. Faced with many selections, I sampled the mango and strawberry  flavors which were buttery soft and sweet. However I decided to go with the Chef and owner Giamcomo d’Alessandro’s recommendation of nocciola. He also suggested to sample the avocado and nocciolo separately, then combine both flavors. Nocciola is supposed to offer the dessert a balanced taste.

D’Alessandro briefly explained that he created the avocado base gelato using a blend of fresh avocados, sugar, water, lemon and cinnamon which is then scooped on a avocado shell. His many palatable flavors is topped with a pit made from gelato. The avocado had an unusual hint of sweetness with a natural fruit flavor and a soft velvety texture. The nocciola was sweet but just right and tasted like Nutella with a buttery texture. When the two were paired together: it was rich, savory and absolutely tasty.

I felt that the after taste of the nocciola slightly overpowered the taste of the avocado or maybe because the nocciola included nuts that I digested may have given it a stronger taste. In my opinion, the vegan avocado gelato is much lighter and it is a dessert I will definitely have again.