Ferrara Paticceria Bakery & Cafe

Ferrara Bakery & Cafe

195 Grand Street

New York, NY 10013

212-226-6150

New York City’s Famous Italian Bakery & Café Ferrara, was established in 1892 by Antonio Ferrara, whom was a known opera lover and a showman. Ferrara is owned and operated by the family’s fifth generation of bakers. Located in the heart of Little Italy, this famous landmark offers a variety of Italian delicacies such as cakes, cookies, pastries , desserts and gourmet items that are house-made, hand crafted and made fresh daily from secret recipes. In addition, it also imports over 200 superb Italian specialties and offers private event spaces and wholesale goods.

Upon entry of the bakery, to the right are dark mahogany walls with mirrors and tables to dine while enjoying lunch or dessert. To the left, the showcases are adorned with bright festive colors of hand crafted pastries, cookies and gelato. I wanted to purchase one of their gelatos and cannoli, but the line was long and seemed to be moving slow. However, I was able to try their Pignoli cookies. This delicious traditional Italian cookie is made with almond paste, sugar, flour and pine nuts. It is lightly golden in color on both the top and bottom. The cookie was light in weight, soft but very chewy and had a balanced amount of sweetness. I plan on returning to purchase their king cannolis and gelato.

Ferrara

3 thoughts on “Ferrara Paticceria Bakery & Cafe

1. Loribeth

On our trip we only tried the Pignoli cookies because time was short and we had to move on. The cookie itself was not very impressive; it had a chewy texture and a light sweet almond flavor, but it left more to be desired. I wish we had more time to buy a cannoli and try another Italian staple from this very famous locale. Overall, the experience was worthwhile and I might go back to try more of these desserts.

2. T. ETKINS

Wow, I’m sad i missed out on the visit. This place definitely looks like a traditional bake shop with great treats. I see from your photos that they offered chocolate cannolis which is something i have never seen before, i have never been a fan of cannolis but seeing the chocolate cannolis makes me want to give them a try.

3. Daniel Vega

Don’t get me started on this place! Legendary-Yes, a mad house that will slowly kill you while holding your canoli in your hand-Double yes. Ferrara Bakery is in the heart of Little Italy, and as you may imagine, swarming with camera phones and eyes looking everywhere but forward. The check-out lines are usually snaked around the entrance of bakery and their outside gelato station is vultured by tourist sampling every flavor. If I every find myself in the neighborhood and see it empty, I might be finally be able to enjoy one of their famous cannoli.