Alumni Night was an event hosted by the Art + Design Club. It was an event where previous students that graduated from CityTech came back to the school to talk to us, students. The event was held on Thursday, April 19th. At the event, I saw various students that I had previously seen from my early semesters. There were students that are graphic designers, art directors, UX and UI designers and many others. This event had various activities that had us talking to different people and had all of us getting up and down. At first, after getting a name tag and registering, we got papers with a table that looked like bingo. The first activity was human bingo, in which you look for people with certain characteristics or people with a “black cat”. After you fill a whole row, you win a prize. A girl had completed hers ahead of everyone and she won two flash drives. The second activity was group discussions. We all sat at different stations or circles made up of chairs and sat down to discuss topics such as “the creative process”, how to deal with clients and life after graduation. To make sure there were enough alumni to go around, there were one or two alumni sitting in each group. The conversations were short but really insightful. I learned a lot from the students that were once in my steps. After the discussion, we all had to get up and take all the chairs out of the way. We all formed a huge circle (well it looked like a badly done oval). The next activity was the game “ Never Have I Ever”. Some had to stand in the middle and say something like “never have I ever taken a nap at CityTech” and the person and everyone who had done it had to run form one spot to another. It was really fun and such an unexpected activity. The last activity was to just go around and network with everyone possible. The whole night was full of interactive activities that got us on our feet and left us energized.

At the end of the event, I was able to network with many people who had graduated. Although they had just graduated just a couple of years ago, I was able to learn a lot from them. I left with many business cards and a lot of connections I had made that night.

The Art + Design Club team (I made this GIF)

Group conversations with COMD alumni

There were small groups where people would sit together and discuss a topic like the design process, dealing with clients and things about their careers. There were one or two alumni at each group.

This is when we started playing “never have I ever”. It was really fun and interactive.