I’ve previously done a few different internships in the past. Some have been from different fields, like my internship at the New York Embroidery Studio where I worked making textiles, and a few have been about graphic design, like my marketing internship at the startup Perfect Strangers of New York where I helped design graphics and content. When it came time for me to get an internship for a class credit, I was prepared to go through the process.

For the most part, I was looking for internships online on the site called Indeed.com. I would apply to 10-15 different internships a day for about two weeks. After some while, I was contacted by the director of the Greenwich Village Chelsea Chamber of Commerce. From there on, the way I got my internship was simple. I sent my resume to the director through the indeed site. I heard back a few days later. I went in for the interview. It was smooth. I couldn’t directly interview with my supervisor. I interviewed with a person that works there.I talked about my experiences at school, my projects and my expectations for the internship. The interviewer was really impressed. She liked the projects in my portfolio. We talked about what I would do in the internship. We went over requirements. I was told I would be working on flyers, reports and other kinds of files.

A chamber of commerce is essentially a collective of businesses that come together to strengthen the community. It is similar to a union that they advocate for small businesses and ensure their needs are met. The place I’m doing my internship at hosts various events for businesses to come together, network and grow their businesses. I was really interested in that they do that. It was one of the things that got me interested to work at this organization. I liked the space. it was beautiful and there are free snacks and water stations. Although I was a little down to hear that my internship would be unpaid. I didn’t mind that, though, because I was glad to work for this organization and to benefit from their extensive network. After my interview, I heard back a few days later from the director of the chamber.

The director emailed me telling me that I got the internship. I started my internship the upcoming week and that’s how I got my internship.

This is the website of the GVCCC.