Mentorship

The person I consider my mentor is my supervisor. He has taught me everything that I know about copy and print. We have learned from each other and I thank him for that. We have been working with each other for over two years and we have grown as individuals. I have learned so much graphic design from him and vice versa. I believe that mentors are such an important piece of growing. Working with my supervisor forces me to go back and relearn the basics. I learned that you actually learn new insights by doing this, or you realize you may have been taking the wrong approach for years. You build a relationship that strengthens your communication skills.

I think it’s also important to have a support system. My supervisor has always been someone who gives feedback and gives credit where credit is due. He encourages the team to always do the best and never be scared to fail, as long as we learn from our mistakes and move on from them. One thing I appreciate about my supervisor is his commitment to his craft and doing so inspires me to take my craft seriously. His honesty and willingness to teach us new things have helped me on building relationships not only with him but others. An example would be when I started this internship class. I was scared that he wouldn’t allow me to use the print and marketing department for my internship. When I sat him down and explained my situation to him I was beyond grateful that he agreed to let me use the department as my internship.