The webinar I decided to listen and view isĀ Alluring Labels: How Digital Printing Can Transform BrandsĀ from www.paperspecs.com. I’ve always been intrigued by the different packaging companies come up for their products. I took packaging design few years ago and it was very fun. Got to learn about the intricate details that goes into packaging, make my own unique carton for my fake juice brand, and visit a design company that specializes in packaging.

In this webinar, the guest speaker isĀ Richard Hatter. He is the creative director for Hired Guns Creative. He started the webinar by giving a brief backstory about himself and his company. Then, he showed some packaging designs he did for some clients, mainly wineries. His companies clients in the beginning was a web designer forĀ everyone. But doing everyone has its pros and cons because you don’t necessarily stand out for any industry. He then decided to focus on packaging design for wineries because he had a background in packaging design since they had poor designs for their websites. After his first project success, his opportunties expanded even more and Ā continued to prosper.

Richard then goes into talking about his creative process in creating his designs. First is the brief of what the client wants. I agree with him on the fact that as designers we should try to see what clients want before actually doing anything. Because if the client says that I have free control, many times clients will keep sending back mockups because they don’t like it because they didn’t have a design in mind at the time. During the briefing, we should try to ask questions to lead the clients towards some sort of design they have in mind. Second is researching. Researching a brand’s history is very important when creating a new branding. Exploring competitors products help brainstorm what have been done before and spark inspiration.

Third is mood boarding. Fourth is strategy and naming. Fifth is branding. Sixth is packaging design. Seventh is focus grouping. Eighth is prototyping. Ninth is location setting. Finally tenth is production.