Jazmin Rodriguez – Chapter 13 Summary

Chapter  Summary

Chapter 13 gives an overview of the special events industry. We learn about the various classifications of special events and where future career opportunities can be found. It outlines the skills and abilities required for event management. It identifies the main professional organizations and associations engaged with the special events industry. Finally, it talks about the trends in the special events industry.

Key Words and Concepts

1. Charity Balls. My example: The Soccer Charity Ball provides new quality soccer balls to kids in poverty-stricken communities around the world.
  2. Conventions. My example: The NBAA 2015 Business Aviation Convention & Exhibition is present representation from over 26,000 aviation contacts. They are in Las Vegas this week, from all around the world.
  3. Coordination. My example: The secret of his success was essential unity of direction and coordination of aims in all branches of his enterprises.
  4. Corporate Events. My example: Annually, Sony hosts a corporate event as part of the reward for staff program, to show gratitude to their employees for their dedication and hard work throughout the year.
  5. Corporate Seminars. My example: Corporate seminars are intended to improve employees wellness, retention and productivity.
  6. Event Planner. My example: As an event planner I must listen to my clients to assess their special event needs, and execute the requirements completely and to their complete satisfaction.
  7. Event Planning. My example: Event planning covers everything from weddings, birthdays, parties, corporate events, celebrity events and special events.
  8. Fairs and festivals. My example: Every year kids can enjoy games, entertainment, food and rides at the New York City Fairs and Festivals for Kids.
  9. International Festival & Events Association (IFEA). My example: IFEA is a not-for-profit association that was founded in 1956, and puts on a yearly international convention and expo for its members.
  10. International Special Events Society (ISES). My example: An ISES membership grants access to a global network of 7000 event professionals, monthly educational and networking events and a platform for professional promotion of yourself and your company.
  11. Meeting Professionals International (MPI). My example: The Meeting Professionals International (MPI) is considered the largest and most vibrant global meeting and event industry association, and was founded in 1972.
  12. Social Functions. My example: He has often attended social functions at which the Clintons were present.
  13. Special Events Industry. My example: The special event industry is forecast to grow because clients want ever more spectacular events.
  14. Trade Shows. My example: Exhibiting at a trade show is an excellent way to find customers to help your business grow.
  15. Weddings and Holiday Parties. My example: Of all social gatherings, weddings are the most widely recognized social event.
  16. Workshops. My example: The Library offers workshops for faculty, students, and other members of the City Tech community.