Another week of spring break having customers come in and starting to flood our stores and restaurants and really putting us through the ringer I’ve had customers yell and complain to me during hours and days in which we are completely swarmed and having issues getting orders out. One time it was just me and another cast member on ranch hand and because of this we became very slammed and were rushing around the floor trying to get food to the customers and unfortunately we had customers waiting at the expo window wanting to speak with managers saying that the wait was getting too long and that if they waited another minute that they’d want a refund. Unfortunately the order got pushed back as one big order was in front of the irritated customer so it was taking much longer than desired so the customer ended up asking for a refund so I had to get my coordinator out of the kitchen (she was helping culinary catch up to the orders) and now my coordinator is a little ticked off that she has to leave the line to deal with this customer they talked and she issued a refund as well as bagging their food to go. This week has not been ideal but we must continue to keep moving forward and try to take this experience and learn and improve for the other customers that are waiting.

Squirrel eating a french fry.

Eastern Grey squirrel