”Plastic Pollution – Why Coca-Cola need to take responsibility too” by Louisa Casson

This article, “Plastic Pollution – Why Coca-Cola need to take responsibility too” by Louisa Casson is talking about plastic pollution. Plastic pollution is the biggest problem in the world especially the ocean. To able to reduce plastic pollution in the ocean or just fix the plastic pollution, people who want to use plastic, people who make plastic, and government should be both efforts. The litter collection and recycling systems simply cannot keep up with the amount of plastic we’re using. So, people need to priorities reducing the staggering amount of single-use plastic packaging that is being pumped out and sold to us in the first place. Governments across the UK introduced the charge to give individuals an incentive to re-use bags. Also, Coca-Cola is the biggest drink company in the world. Also, they need a lot of plastic and if Coke does take credible action to reduce their plastic footprint and embrace refillable packaging that can make a massive difference to our oceans. Writing an email to Coca-Cola CEO is a way to make that happen.

8 thoughts on “”Plastic Pollution – Why Coca-Cola need to take responsibility too” by Louisa Casson”

1. I agree. These big name companies need to take some responsibility for the amount of plastic products that are being produced. I think they need to offer even more incentives for people to re-use and recycle plastic products. We as a society also need to do our part in the reduction of plastic pollution. I remember seeing a video on Facebook about a sea turtle that a straw stuck inside of its nose. Some people on a boat had rescued it and was trying to dislodge the straw from its nose. The sea turtle was scared and with good cause. I bet it wondered, was it these same humans who threw the plastic straw in the water in the first place? There was a lot of blood shed from the sea turtle, and eventually, they were able to dislodge the straw after several efforts to calm the uneasy animal.
    We all need to be conscience of our actions and the role we play in pollution. Our consumption must be minimized drastically.
    Plastic pollution has been affecting us for a very long time and I wonder if it truly will come to an end.

2. While I agree companies should make it more accessible for consumers to have different kind options to drink their beverage. It is still the consumer fault for not taking the proper step to recycle properly. We can not penalize a company for the way society handles their pollution problem. Their does need to be a decrease in plastic containers especially for sodas, and even water. But if consumers are not making an effort we are not going to get anywhere.

3. in my opinion to end ocean plastic pollution, we need to prioritize reducing the staggering amount of single-use plastic packaging that is being pumped out and sold to us in the first place. Our litter collection and recycling systems simply cant keep up with the amount of plastic we’re using. It’s unacceptable that it’s so hard to avoid buying food and drinks in throwaway plastic packaging on your weekly shop.
    Governments across the UK introduced the charge to give individuals an incentive to re-use bags, and businesses started creating more durable plastic bags to meet this demand. As a result, throwaway plastic bag use has dropped by 85% in England, and number of plastic bags washing up on British coastlines nearly halved between 2014 and 2015!

1. This topic reminds me of a recent video I saw about new way to drink water without plastic, that includes an edible “water gel”. The video claims eliminating the use of water bottles help the planet reduce the amount of waste. I’ve always been in favor of recycling even little things like plastic utensils or plastic bag I will separate it from regular garbage wastes.

4. People should really make it a “thing” nowadays to try to prevent and reduce environmental pollution. We should all email coca- cola and other big companies that they should try to do something about the environmental issues that they are causing. People and media should make recycling really popular thing in our society, it would be super helpful

5. People should really make it a “thing” nowadays to try to prevent and reduce environmental pollution. We should all email coca- cola and other big companies that they should try to do something about the environmental issues that they are causing. People and media should make recycling really popular thing in our society, it would be super helpful

6. I think this article raises a really important issue — the amount of ocean pollution by plastics is staggering and really dangerous not only for the creatures that live in the ocean but also for the rest of humanity which relies on marine ecosystems.

Having said that, I think the writer does a bad job explaining what alternatives there are (or could be) to the current system. She mentions increasing incentives for recycling, but other that that she doesn’t list a lot of solutions.

I can think of a couple that might work, which are variously optimistic/challenging: First, I think the US and UK governments should play a larger role in strategic waste management to prevent plastic debris from getting into the ocean in the first place. Clearly this will come at a high price, but that could be levied as an additional tax on sodas paid by consumers or as a corporate tax paid by the companies.

7. The amount of plastic pollution in our oceans is alarming, not only is ever single plastic waste product create still around, it is also causing harm to our health. The temperature change in plastic product results in the release of those plastic into our food and drink, meaning that we are consuming plastic. Plastic is not only causing great harm to our environment and ecosystem but to our overall health as well. I think that coca cola dose have to take responsibility for their part but also take initiative on finding a solution and alternative to the overwhelming amount of plastic that we have.