Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - OL78 | Fall 2020

Micro-Activity # 7: Pick a Model & Organize Your Ideas

A letter will be the genre model that I will use to represent my discourse community. I chose this genre model because I believe that a letter has a more private personal tone to it. My letter will be addressed to a congressman or representative of the state of New York. This letter will help me express my ideas and persuade my argument to implement new infection control regulations at public gyms. The gyms that I will be including in my argument are public gyms that are frequented by a large volume of people. These include stand-alone gyms, hotels gyms, residential gyms and office gyms.  These new regulations that I want to implement are to be controlled and administered by the NY Department of Health. In my letter I will introduce myself, state my topic, and request state officials for their support. The congressman or congresswoman that I will be writing this letter for, are intelligent and experienced political members. They get hundreds of letters from people asking for help on a daily basis. This is why conducting research is very crucial to support my argument. When this is done, I will educate them with my findings regarding the environment in my discourse community. I will then persuade the listener by giving him/her a vivid description of the problem. I will include a personal story and explain why this issue is important to me and my community. I will also include a question in my letter to challenge the reader. I will then discuss the actions that are currently being taken at gyms after the reopening of gyms following the co-vid 19 pandemic. Lastly I will introduce some ideas to be included in the new health regulation for gyms. I will then end my letter thanking them for their service and hoping to have earned their support.

1. Ruth Garcia

Vanesa it sounds as if you have a good idea of all the kinds of information you want to use in your letter and also of some of the strategies you will use to be persuasive–such as a personal story, something Douglass does. If I’m understanding correctly, you want to urge your audience to take precautions that are different from the ones being taken now. More precautions? less? And you research will help support your reasons for this? As will your personal example?