Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - OL78 | Fall 2020

Micro-Activity #7: Pick a Model & Organize Your Ideas

Purpose: To defend my stance on the increase in funding for the healthcare system.

Model: Speech. I chose this model because a speech is made t reach multiple groups of people, and my target audience  is concerned healthcare workers and government officials.
This speech would be given to persuade my audience to agree with the idea to have an increase of funding to the healthcare system, examples being clinics, hospitals and in school clinics. In my speech i will, provide the issues that have been presented due to low funding and give clear reasons on why the healthcare systems deserves this increase. This will mean i will have to include facts from outside sources to show the effects in numbers and  build credibility for the sake of being trusted by my audience.  I will be using personal anecdotes in order to emphasize how it is effecting everyone, and to build emotional appeal. Changes in government spending often struggle to be agreed upon being that many people have to different perspectives, but health must always come first. In order to reach the government officials my speech would be in front of healthcare workers and government officials from that particular area (mayors, etc), i would also urge healthcare workers to write letters and spread knowledge of this need to people of power, and throughout the media. My speech will be  informative and clear in order to reach the audience efficiently.

1. Ruth Garcia

Maiya-I like that you understand the use you will make of research and of personal examples and how they work differently to appeal to your audience. My only concern is that you seem to have two very different audiences in mind which means different point of views you are appealing to–I would imagine that healthcare workers will be more likely to quickly and easily agree with you than government officials who control the money since they are not affected the same way. Therefore wouldn’t you have to appeal to this second audience differently? This is something to think about as you prepare to write.